Rocker Arms Keep Getting Loose ????"s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I can run the engine after I set the valves,drive it and it runs GREAT but still has chatter and when I remove the valve covers there are a couple of the rockers back loose.

ElCaturbo

Weekend Racer
Jul 17, 2012
meridian, ms
How are you adjusting them? The best most foolproof method, though it requires a lot of turning with the breaker bar (spark plugs removed makes it a lot easier - using the starter makes it too hard to be precise as to which lobe is where, so please do it by hand), is this:

Adjust one cylinder at a time, ignore everything but the one you're working on. Start with all the adjusters backed way off so you can see the pushrod rise, without being possibly distracted by the plunger depressing in the lifter. Turn crank until the exhaust just starts to open, then adjust the intake to zero lash (with clean threads now you should be able to find zero by turning the polylock with your fingers), then 1/2 turn preload, and lock it down. Then turn crank again until the intake has just closed, and adjust the exhaust. Repeat 8 times and you're done.

With new lifters that are still dry inside the plungers are really soft and it's harder to feel the zero lash point, but if the lifters have been run at all or even new lifters that have been prelubed it's pretty easy to feel.

If it still makes lash after doing it this way, you need to pull the intake and inspect the lifter faces. And if you don't have a magnetic drain plug you can check for the telltale silver/grey fuzzy glob that used to be your cam lobes, get one!

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I adjusted them this way but with a starter bumper hooked up to the starter,and adjusted the exhaust valves when the intake valve goes halfway open,should I do intake valve closed?THANKS

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
You need to adjust the Exhaust when the intake is past full lift and almost closed. Intake adjusted is when exhaust STARTS to open.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
to me it sounds like you are using the lock nuts that come with the comp magnum rockers. Not real polylocks with a set screw? If that is the case, throw them away and get real poly locks. I've never adjusted valves with the engine running, its not necessary and its messy.
brian

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have the real polylocks,was adjusting when exhaust valve starts to open adjust intake valve and when intake valve goes halfway down adjust exhaust valve is this right?THANKS

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts