Rocker Arms Keep Getting Loose ????"s

ElCaturbo

Weekend Racer
Jul 17, 2012
meridian, ms
If the adjusters are not coming loose and it is still creating lash that wasn't there before, it has nothing to do with how much preload you add. That lash can only be coming from something wearing down.

I would pull the intake and inspect the lifters.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug, is there anything on it?

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I dicovered some bad rocker studs going to replace all of them just wondering what will be best half turn or quarter turn after 0 lash when adjusting valves.THANKS

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
It really is a matter of choice. Try 1/4 first and see if it is noisy. Generally I use 1/2 with aluminum heads since they grow more. I don't think the lifters pumping up is too much of an issue any more, I think it is the lifters compressing that is the power robber. I run the Morel lifters on my hydraulic roller and I have them at 1/2 turn. It runs to over 6000 llike that with .535/.550 lift. But now, after replacing the studs, WATCH IT CAREFULLY!!!!! Like was said, preload is not the issue. If it is still coming loose after everything I said to do, then the cam is wearing or the lifters are just shot. Because regardless of preload, as long as you set some, the pushrod should NOT have lash in it.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
OK THANKS will replace the rocker studs I know some of them are bad because I cant screw the poly locks all the way down on them.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
OK THANKS will replace the rocker studs I know some of them are bad because I cant screw the poly locks all the way down on them.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I replaced all the rocker studs with NEW ones from SummitRacing,set the lash to 0 and tighten 1/2 turn and after a few revolutions of the engine I'm still getting some rockers with lash,is this because the cam has wore,if so I will be looking for a Hyd. Roller Retro fit cam?THANKS

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
The lifters are bleeding down as you are cycling the valvetrain (no oil pressure to pump them back up). RUN the engine after you have set the lash and see if they are quiet and the engine runs well.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Damon said:
The lifters are bleeding down as you are cycling the valvetrain (no oil pressure to pump them back up). RUN the engine after you have set the lash and see if they are quiet and the engine runs well.

X2. The man's on the money...

Tommy

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I can run the engine I set valves,drive it and it runs GREAT but still has chatter and when I remove the valve covers there are a couple of the rockers back loose.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts