Rocker Arms Keep Getting Loose ????"s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a SBC 400 engine with Edelbrock RPM Aluminum heads,Comp Cams Hyd cam(.469" lift),Comp Cams 1.6 Magnum roller rockers with polylocks,about every 4-6 months a couple of rocker arms will come loose and I will have to readjust them,I get 0 lash on them and tighten to about a quarter turn after 0 lash,do I need to tighten them to about half a turn or what,ANY HELP?THANKS

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I've had problems with poly locks over the years. If it tightens back to where it was then thats the problem. If not then you have more serious problems.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I've always tightened the poly lock then give just a snug on the adjustment nut. But like stated earlier what kind of oil are ou using and any zddp?

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
What other problem can it be or do I need to go with a half turn after 0 lash instead of a quarter turn or what?THANKS

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
What they are getting at is, if the oil doesn't have the right API rating the cam will wear prematurely.
On the adjustment, I run the nut down to zero lash then snug the lock then tighten the nut 1/4 turn.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Looking from a assembly standpoint first, if the studs are junk, the set screw will not have a flat surface to jam against. This is important. And as was said, the correct way to set the lash is to tighten the poly lock nut to CLOSE to where you want the lash to be. Then tighten the set screw. Now tighten the poly lock nut to where it has to be. On a hydraulic, I move the pushrod up and down until there is just no slack. Then I put a white dot on the nut. I go for 1/2 turn with aluminum heads for expansion. So I turn it almost 1/2 turn, like between 5 and 6 oclock. Then set the set screw and tighten the poly lock to 6. This has never failed. However, I use ARP studs in the heads with machined ends so the set screw makes full contact on the stud. Otherwise you wear down high spots and the poly lock loosens.

ElCaturbo

Weekend Racer
Jul 17, 2012
meridian, ms
The important question is, are the adjusters coming loose, or does it just keep creating lash that wasn't there before? If it's eating cam lobes, more preload will just postpone the time until it gets loose and starts ticking again.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts