Loose pushrod after adjusting valves

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You've got 3 choices, you can>>
#1= Drill & Pin the Stock Press In Studs.
#2= Get Screw in Studs without the shoulder, have to pull Press In's, Tap threads.
#3= Machine down the Stud Bosses, Tap threads & use Screw in Studs with the shoulder + Pushrod Guide Plates.
I'd do #2 "Better" or #3 "Best".

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
You would think if it's a sealed spec"race motor"they'd at least pin the rocker studs??????? Wouldn't Ya??????????

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
okay, so stock studs are 3/8. so i found shoulderless stud with 3/8 top and 7/16 bottom with screw in. Now some things I saw say you can tap the one while head on motor. I see though that you have to drain the coolant, but how do you keep metal shavings from going into the opening?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Pack the Flutes on the Tap with Bearing grease, this will catch most all of the shavings. Tap about 1/3 of the Threads, remove & clean shavings & grease out of Flutes and re-grease & Tap. Slow but, it works.

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
Maybe I'm stupid, but I can not find anywhere that sells the stud i need for this. I'm looking for one with the 7/16 bottom with out the hex nut. been to two local speed shops and auto part stores. Where can I find this on line and not have to order a whole set of 16 studs? I got the stud puller/tap guide and a body with set of taps that has done this before. Just can't find the stud

thanks guys

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
You might try some engine machine shops but my guess is you're only going to find them by the set,even tough if it were me I'd be thinking one stud pulled loose,what about the rest? Complete set from Jegs is only $33 & change,as T5 said though if you have any old-timey auto parts stores around they may have them in Dorman but you'll probably not have any luck at places like Auto-Zone and Carquest,Good Luck!

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
bought a set from speedway motors for 20 bucks, just waiting for everything to show up so I can get this thing back on the road. like said before, my buddy has a tap set. I have never personally tapped anything before. How hard should this be to tap out for a 7/16 thread? I have the stud puller/tap guide, anything else you guys can think of to make it easier

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
okay, should rephrase. buddy has tap kit and going to do it for me. just for my own info. when going from 3/8 to 7/16 do you have to drill out or can you just go straight to the tap. Also, when tapping heads do you need a bottoming tap? thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts