speedway motors tubular control arms

Cam

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Los Osos, CA
I'm curious to see if you can use roundyround arms for the big brake swap. Can you get thread-in b-body style balljoints that will fit this control arm? The big brake swap arms are also shorter, aren't they, to give you a better camber curve?

i have answered my own question on this, so here's the result: yes you can use roundyround arms, but you have to custom order them from coleman racing with the correct offset and length - I haven't figured this out yet, but I'm thinking you need a 7" or 6 3/4 Length to run with the taller spindles. There is also a guy ( I've lost the link, but it's at work, I'll paste it up later) who sells teflon bushed arms for the big brake swap for $270. The arms are not as nice looking as globalwest or hotchkiss, but I bet they work just fine.

CBRAKLR

Amateur Racer
Jan 8, 2008
Wichita,ks
gdnf2et said:
I ordered two rights for my monte, they worked fine UNTIL I put on the dropped spindles two weeks ago..The left side camber was then -2 out, with no shims. So I ordered the left side arm ( which is 1/2 longer ) and its shimable now and steers straight.. It helps to have a good , patient, alignment guy..
do you have any pics of them on your car with the drop spindels im considering the same set up. is the some reason that the spindels caused you to have to change the control arm? what brand spindels do you have?

gdnf2et

Weekend Racer
Jan 2, 2007
Va Beach, VA
CBRAKLR said:
gdnf2et said:
I ordered two rights for my monte, they worked fine UNTIL I put on the dropped spindles two weeks ago..The left side camber was then -2 out, with no shims. So I ordered the left side arm ( which is 1/2 longer ) and its shimable now and steers straight.. It helps to have a good , patient, alignment guy..
do you have any pics of them on your car with the drop spindles im considering the same set up. is the some reason that the spindles caused you to have to change the control arm? what brand spindles do you have?

Putting drop spindles on a car changes the front end.....I bought used Bel Tech spindles..They don't have Bel Tech on them anywhere..A friend of mine ordered new Bel Tech spindles and Bel Tech is not on them either..My alignment guy said its normal for the drop spindles to change things.The Speedway arms just didn't have enough play in them to get it right on my particular car until I got the 1/2 inch longer arm..

Cam

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Los Osos, CA
Here's the link I mentioned above. His prices seem really reasonable, like if you bought all the stuff yourself it would be a wash:

http://gparts.freeyellow.com/12brakekit.html

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
UCA's for tall spindle swaps. About $100 for a set. UBMachine PN#14-0809-5R & 14-0809-5L http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19243
I have tall spindles on my car and I was really cheap. I shortened the stock arms. :-"

Cam

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Los Osos, CA
dwkohout said:
UCA's for tall spindle swaps. About $100 for a set. UBMachine PN#14-0809-5R & 14-0809-5L http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19243
I have tall spindles on my car and I was really cheap. I shortened the stock arms. :-"

What was the shortened length? I'm thinking it needs to be 6.75-7" or so.

Cam

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Los Osos, CA
Cam said:
dwkohout said:

What was the shortened length? I'm thinking it needs to be 6.75-7" or so.

Only problem with UBMachine's arms is they have no bushings. Steel on steel.

John N

Top Fueler
Feb 12, 2005
South Jersey
jackstandracing.com
That's the same as all the other circle track arms. They use greasable solid bushings. No deflection and they move more freely than poly or stock rubber. You won't feel a difference in vibration since they're the upper A arm. I like solid busings personally.

Cam

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Los Osos, CA
John N said:
That's the same as all the other circle track arms. They use greasable solid bushings. No deflection and they move more freely than poly or stock rubber. You won't feel a difference in vibration since they're the upper A arm. I like solid busings personally.

Really? that's good news. I've been wondering about that, they seem like they would wear a lot faster than delrin or teflon, that's all. I've been considering buying the arms, and welding new bushing ends on them, but I'd rather not run a self-fabbed front suspension.

John N

Top Fueler
Feb 12, 2005
South Jersey
jackstandracing.com
I don't see any reason to do that. The solid busings are nice and smooth. They're greasable so they should take longer than rubber to wear. They won't dry out or anything. Something like a rod end or heim joint might wear out fast if they get dirt in the bearing part, but that isn't really an issue with this style of solid bushing from my experience.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts