coolant left in block

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i put a gallon of straight coolant in to go with the remaining water in the block and did the rest 50/50 it tested good to 0 degrees.I'm thinking of draining a gallon out and putting in a gallon of straight coolant in its place.

YAV8

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2014
Manitiowc, Wisconsin
Are you driving it in winter or just storing it. If its for storage only then its OK. Even a small amount will keep the water from freezing solid and cracking a block. Just be sure that you run the motor and get it mixed real well.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
melloelky said:
i put a gallon of straight coolant in to go with the remaining water in the block and did the rest 50/50 it tested good to 0 degrees.I'm thinking of draining a gallon out and putting in a gallon of straight coolant in its place.

I would put a gallon of straight antifreeze in it. And then 50/50 the rest.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I'm only storing it in the winter but I'd like to have more piece of mind really.I'm gonna pull some 50/50 out and put in the straight coolant.I'm thinking of pulling two gallons out and replacing it with two of the straight and test it.i don't know maybe i should stick with just the one gallon of straight.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Is it going in a detached garage? Mine is attached to the house, so I put a cup of water on the hood. If the cup starts to freeze, then I start to look at it.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
A lot of bottles have a guide for ratio vs temperature... I would shoot for whatever would be safe for your record low temperatures.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i did adjust the amount of straight coolant in the system and it did change it to a lower freezing point.thanks for all the help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts