need to drain coolant from sbc

the terrible

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2008
Warren, MI
I need to drain the water out of my block for winter storage. I removed the radiator and drained it, and I have successfully removed the drivers side setscrew/threaded plug from the block (509 casting). I also succeeded in stripping the passenger side plug and made it impossible to remove using my current (limited) toolset. Do I have to remove both plugs? This was my first year going to the track and I am not using antifreeze.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I would try to get a good set of vise grips on that and get it out. There is probably more water in that side also, I don't know if it is enough to hurt anything. Maybe someone else can chime in. If you can't get it out, I would just put straight antifreeze into the motor only by blocking off the lower rad hose first and dumping it in the thermostat housing.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
If it's an allen head. Get an easy out big enough but first heat the block with a "plummers" torch and when its hot use a wax candle and melt some by the threads. Should wick the wax up and when it cools, viola easy to remove. Worst case is use a 90* drill and blow a hole in the plug for now and worry about it come spring. Why not just put antifreeze in it?? RV would work.....

the terrible

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2008
Warren, MI
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try pouring some 100% antifreeze into the block. I was hoping to find an answer to my problem that didnt involve me pulling the engine!

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
That is why all my engines get drain cocks installed.

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
Goob said:
Mine too!! And, even draining the block doesn't get all the coolant out. Tried that before pulling one, and still got almost a gallon when we turned it over. :eek: We always put antifreeze in for the winter storage...garaged or not.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis

the terrible

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2008
Warren, MI
Goob said:
the terrible said:
Goob said:

Who makes those nifty "drain cocks"? I think I need to order some...

I'm sure you have seen them in your local hardware store...

The first one on this page is what you are looking for, 1/4" NPT

http://www.brassfittings.com/drancock.pdf

Thanks for the info! I'll be ordering a couple on Monday. In the meantime, my buddy showed me how to rig an air compressor to the upper rad hose using a hose clamp and a shop rag. We blew as much as possible out of the water pump intet and replaced the water with 100% antifreeze. Seems like it should do the trick!

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Good boy! Dont do like I did a few years back. I forgot to take the water out and it froze and LUCKILY it only pushed out the freeze plugs, if not the block would have cracked for sure :oops:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts