Moser 9" "Bolt-in" Rear for G-Body ???

A

Anonymous

:) Hi Guys,

I got my Moser 9" all assembled and installed last night but encountered problems to say the least...

First off, once istalled I notice that the upper ears are slightly off several degrees toward the outside, need to be brought in slightly for center-line of bushing to be true to center line of UCA. Not so bad as I was able to push the bolts right in but when you get straight behind each ear you can see the difference. Then I had to rotate the housing inward (which is normal) to install the LCA's, not a problem UNTIL I noticed that the shock stud was aiming upward about 30* or so difference from what it should be aiming down, there was NO WAY the QA-1 shock (or ANY for that matter!) was going to fit.

So....I though that MAYBE, because I have HR Parts adj UCA's that I may be able to lengthen them enough to lower that stud into potition. Once I did, The UCA's were SO LONG it was ridiculous! The pinion is up a STUPID amount also.... curse_sign.gif

ANYONE else have these problems with theirs :?: ](*,) :?: ](*,) :?:

Thank you for ANY and ALL replies! :)

PS....Does anyone know the center-to-center length of the stock UCA's? I lost count of how many turns I made trying to see if I could fix the problem above. ;) I got SO flustrated last night I just stopped and came in the house. Called Moser this morning and they want me to pull it, disassemble it (already have gear lube and all in it!) and send it back to them so they can put it in their jig to check it. Bad thing is, is that I trusted them enough after installing one in my '70 GS455 4-speed convertible back in '95 (that had NOT ONE problem with!) is that I have already welded HR Parts Super Sway Bar mounts to the housing and had it powdercoated.

FLUSTRATION may not be a strong enough word here! ](*,)

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Yes, I also have a moser 9" in a 1978 montecarlo. I've also had problems, what i'm understanding is 9" housing is bigger,so what understanding is moser is installing brackets on housing w/stock positioning,but it dosen't seem they are taking that the housing is bigger,so it seems the uca brackets are taller and position off from factory rearend that came in the car. I found that uca length is 10"& lowers are 19 1/4". I have currie dbl. adj. uppers (driver) 10.5", (passenger side) 11" thats w/ preload. I have umi dbl. adj. lowers, i set wheel base at factory length 108" that determined my lca length,came out to factory 19 1/4". With this set-up i also have shock mounting problems on housing,3-way comp. fit w/force . the problem i see if your having problems also,check length of lowers, i know hr parts are non-adj. length. what length are those and ride heigth also comes into play w/newer 9" because of seperation issues.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply 'MYMONTECARLO'!

I called Moser and talked with Tech to see their thoughts....got very little other than "send back the housing and we will put it in our jig"... curse_sign.gif

So I calmly went back out got back under the car and decided to go back to "square-one". I returned the UCA's to original stock length then went ahead and shortened to my desired initial pinion-angle. This returned their length to 11 1/8" from a slight spec under 13" that I had lengthened them to then proceeded to set "peliminary" pinion-angle to see what it would take to get that shock-stud down to the correctly matched shock angle. I'm sure you can imagine the upward pinion-angle at that moment before correcting it back and setting it. #-o

Anyway...back on track here....

Once I did these things I then measured the stud angle and then the proper shock angle and came up with approximately a 15* difference, BIG margin of error I would say! Anyway after running it thru my head over and over again on how to try and avoid a disassemble and reship back, I loosened the shock stud to the point where the nut in back still held it from falling out but also whereas it could "drop" to an acceptible angle. I couldn't get it to go low enough initially but then decided I could simply insert the correct drill bit and lower the handle of the drill to give clearance on the outer bottom and inner top without opening up the hole. This worked as I thought it would and required very little effort to do so. I then (with the shock bolted above to factory position in the spring bucket) again used my angle-finder to find the correct angle to match. It ended up being 15* off (3* up as sent while shock required 12* down). I then went to a machinist buddy of mine and had him make me angled "washers" to correct the problem. I had him make a total of (4) of each (one for each side of the LCA mount or the nut will attempt to "correct" from only making contact on one-side as they are tightened and will defeat my purpose) in increments from 14*, 15* & 16* to fine tune it.

Once I get them from him (hopefully tomorrow!) I will let all of you know if this indeed was the fix!! dancin_banana.gif

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Another fix for the shock angle is to heat the back of the LCA mount with a torch and then move the shock spud into the correct location.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply 'Supe'... I can see that as a possible "fix" too BUT this housing is already powdercoated so really wasn't an option for me! [-X

Picked up the assorted angled spacers I had machined today. My buddy also took the studs themselves and turned them longer on the back stud-thru-the-LCA mounts portion to make the length longer so that the nuts still had full thread engagement considering the spacer's width. I'm going to try and make it out to the shop tonight to see how accurately I may or may not have measured. [-o<

I'll try and report back tonight or tomorrow on how things turned out... :)

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
That is why we always recommend going with at least a single adjustable control arm! They will eliminate that problem with binding seeing how Mosers center sections are bulkier. Hope it works out for you!
Brad :mrgreen:

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Not only is the shock mount angle wrong on those housings, the upper control arm mounts are moved up so much that alot of the faster cars end up cutting the mounts off and relocate them closer to the housing.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
With this particular rear end Either B/A/G body the rear end is bigger and offsets the mounting locations. A quick fix for this is to go with adjustable upper and lower control arms to eliminate any binding issues. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer for that particular body style.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_70&products_id=86&zenid=jaqqj0bfom3nl4n67d4eu0e9j1

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_70&products_id=87&zenid=jaqqj0bfom3nl4n67d4eu0e9j1

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_71&products_id=90&zenid=jaqqj0bfom3nl4n67d4eu0e9j1

If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad :D

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
big-angry-hillbilly said:
So what's being said here, is a housing that's nearly a thousand bucks with axles, doesn't fit worth a poop?

I'll pass on this one.

Hmmmmmmm.......so whose 9" housing 'fits' better?
I was ready to order a Moser, but now I'm not so sure.
I've heard/read that it's a crap-shoot with the Quick housings - quality of the work is good, but some are badly pitted while others are not + the lower mounts are supposedly 'off' on theirs as well.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts