Manual Brake Question

Sandy

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2005
I have searched and read many posts on this topic but am still a bit confused.

I would like to use the power brake master cylinder with a home fabricated firewall plate and rod using the upper hole in the brake pedal and using the stock proportioning valve.

Will this work with the stock disc front and drum rear setup ?

Also, which line does the line lock go into.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
To answer your question, yes your idea will work. That is the set up I had on my car last year, but honestly it was a pain in the butt to do. The rod had to come out several times to cut it to length and even then I worried about it popping out of the master cylinder. If you have the budget I would go with the steel concepts piece, awesome piece for the $$$. The ease of installation is greater as well as the performance and overall look.

Before:
100_0263.jpg

After:
100_0892.jpg

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Do NOT use the stock power brake master cylinder. You need either a factory Malibu manual master, or the manual master from an S10.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
wiseman79 said:
I believe running a power MC without the booster results in a very high pedal effort, and manual with a booster does the opposite, makes the pedal too light which makes them very touchy and prone to lockup.

The one guy I know that tried the power master had to literally get up and stand on the pedal with his full body weight and still barely got the car stopped by the end of the track. My manual master wasn't very light pedal pressure at all. Actually felt firmer than the stock power brakes felt.

A

Anonymous

pedal

The one guy I know that tried the power master had to literally get up and stand on the pedal with his full body weight and still barely got the car stopped by the end of the track. My manual master wasn't very light pedal pressure at all. Actually felt firmer than the stock power brakes felt.[/quote]

Supe is right DO NOT USE STOCK POWER MC!!!!! i've been playing with my set up again that i got from unlimited1320 on here and when i tested the other day i had to pump the f*k out of my brakes to slow down!!!! went to the wilwood m/c you can get from the 84-87 chrysler mini van... now only trying to figure out how long the rod has to be because still don't have the pedal up high enough for firmness.... have bleed the brakes 4 times and still no pedal till almost to floor..that ain't gonna cut it at 132+mph!!

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Hey Razor that sounds like my brakes....i have tried the factory manual replacement....and now i have the S10 manual...same chit different day.

plus my resevoir on the S10 unit is way loose...like if your not paying attention and bump it , it will try and come off.....

also the kit you bought from 1320 did it include the master cylinder???? that is what scares me about buying a kit...it seems like the braking demands from one car to another vary, as so do the parts needed.....

Cherp you havent had a chance to drive yours yet with the steel concepts setup have ya?

A

Anonymous

brakes

hey greendraggin'... that kit from 1320 came with a reservior BUT i think it's not enough volume.. went to another mastercylinder and same thing you have to pump it 5-6 times to get a firmer feel to the pedal.. gonna try messing with the rods length and go longer yet to see if any change... it doesn't seem to be enough travel in the pedal to get pressure,, the pedal is 1/4 way to floor before you get hard pedal.. so i'm gonna like i said lengthen the rod more and bring the brake pedal up more to see if this works... i'll post my findings tonite!!

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
i believe LOODVIG has a power mc on his manual brake setup... he said DONT DO IT!! get a manual master cylinder. he has to pump his brakes in order to stop :roll:

-but i still love his car :twisted:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts