manual brake/dist block question

dirty joe

Daily Driver
Mar 8, 2008
oklahoma city, ok
i have rear discs on my 79 grand prix. my trz manual brake kit will be here tomorrow. i have an adjustable prop valve for the rears, and i was going to get rid of the factory distribution block totally and just tee off for the fronts. but i was wondering, can i just use the distribution block with the rear lines not connected to it just to distribute fluid for the fronts? thanks, joe

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You shouldn't be using the "factory distribution block" with rear disks. It's actually a combo vlave & it's designed for rear drums. I'm suprised you have any rear brakes at all. Also, doing what you want to do will cause your "brake" light to be on all the time, and will leak if you don't block the outlet for the rear line. IMO, if it's a street car getting a proper disk/disk combo valve from Master Power Brakes would be the best bet, or completely repiping the lines from the master to the front & from the master through your existing adjustable bias valve to the rear if it's a track car.

Tommy

dirty joe

Daily Driver
Mar 8, 2008
oklahoma city, ok
yes, this is a track car. and im not done with the car yet. have no brakes because i have not bled the master cylinder and ran the tubing yet. and my brake light doesnt even work because its not there. lol

so, if i do not hook up the rear line to the dist block it will still leak with just the front hooked to it? if thats the case, what tee fitting should i use to tee off the fronts from the master cylinder? just a regular tee fitting, or is there a special dist block for just the fronts i will need?

thanks, joe

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
dirty joe said:
yes, this is a track car. and im not done with the car yet. have no brakes because i have not bled the master cylinder and ran the tubing yet. and my brake light doesnt even work because its not there. lol

so, if i do not hook up the rear line to the dist block it will still leak with just the front hooked to it? if thats the case, what tee fitting should i use to tee off the fronts from the master cylinder? just a regular tee fitting, or is there a special dist block for just the fronts i will need?

thanks, joe

It's somewhat a matter of preference, so others may have different ideas. If you're using a stock style or aftermarket master cylinder that has 2 separate ports for front & rear brakes, I 'd use a double flare tee to split between the left & right sides of the front & the same can be done for the rear, down stream of the prop valve.

Tommy

dirty joe

Daily Driver
Mar 8, 2008
oklahoma city, ok
yeah, i got a strange from trz, well the whole kit. ill just remove the dist block (losing weight), tee off for the front, and run new lines to prop valve and then to the old line. its already tee'd off in the rear. thanks ls6 for the answer. i gotta get crackin for pinks all out in ennis

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts