calling all alcoholics...considering running alky need help

chilli

Dragway Regular
Jul 9, 2003
Indianapolis
Alcohol seems to be more consistant and tends to be less affected by DA. It does require a better fuel system and more maintenance, and don't forget the drum of fuel in the trailer/garage.

I still run gas btw.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
P.S. Invisible flames are not fun.

A

Anonymous

CutlassRacer said:
It is definately alot of work to maintain an alky car. Not to mention getting fuel might be a problem, your fuel goes bad much much faster if you are not using it and it will milk the oil more than regular gas will.

It does help bandaid problems that alot of racers have though. The extra torque that alky provides will help mask cams that are too big as well as heads that are too big. I am not saying this is the right way to do it, I am just saying that it covers up this problem a little, even though a sorted out combination will run a little quicker with alky.

as far as cam and heads being too big that is not what I am trying to do if I thought my cam was too big I'd swap it and be $ ahead in the long run :D

just looking for every little bit I can get and more consitancy which I have heard alcohol is

A

Anonymous

chilli said:
Alcohol seems to be more consistant and tends to be less affected by DA. It does require a better fuel system and more maintenance, and don't forget the drum of fuel in the trailer/garage.

I still run gas btw.

right now i run a magna fuel pump/filter combo the 500 series with -10 line to the regulator and -8 from reg to carb also run a magna regulator and log

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
chilli said:

I still run gas btw.

When you are running Alky, you take in half the amount of atmosphere that you would with Gasoline, hence the perception that it is more consistent......it's still just as affected by Vapor Pressure/Humidity as a Gasoline setup.

Good low end torque boost for an over cammed or under compression engine, but not worth the irritations to me.

My gasoline car runs right along with the D/A changes as my alky friends cars......

chilli

Dragway Regular
Jul 9, 2003
Indianapolis
Goob does your et change more as compared to the alky cars (time), or the same as a percentage of the air (volume) your engine uses on gas vs the air (volume) their engines use on alky?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I move right with the alky cars with the dewpoint and humidity changes, about double what they move for ambient temp and barometer, and about double from "best air of the season to worst air of the season".
And I'm talking about the few racers that I can pick my dial from watching their runs, and the ones that I compare changing conditions with.
Barometer only affects it little for me being at 15:1 static, I run the carb rich so ambient temperature moves me more than barometer, so National Event type tracks can trick you up with reflected ambient heat you won't see at your weather station.
10 minutes of sun on an overcast day at Indy is a .04 slower ET for me, on the 1/4 mile.
Just about everywhere once the sun moves to about 4 o'clock, standard time, the car picks right back up to where it was for the early morning shots. Some of the alky cars move with me, some don't, in those cases, I suspect it is a different mixture setup and temperature range that racer runs it in.
Ya gotta keep an eye on the sunload on the track, traction suffers in the sun too.
Anytime the dew starts collecting on the cars, I can dial up about .02-.03 from the best I've run.
At night tracks, when you see a haze around the track lights, the dew is coming, if the temps continue to fall, the haze will clear up and my car will get right back where it was.

Heck, some of that almost makes sense.....?

A

Anonymous

chilli said:
Best post I've read in a while. Thanks

x2 makes total sense.

i think i will stick with gas less hassle over the long haul and after all it is a bracket car

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
Good read Goob. There is a power increase everywhere though...correct?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts