Calling all experts ... Rear End Swap... Need help??

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of the info guys, This should help in my search for a suitable solution. I think my best bet will be to start saving for a 9". Just seems like the logical choice, While i am planning on a relitavely mild 350 for now, I will probably want to increase power at a later time and it only makes sense to do it right the first time so that and make it as bulletproof as possible. if I do that, at least then i can know that i am building on a strong base.

Fla_G-body

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2008
Quincy,Fl.
Here's a pic of a GM 8.5. A 7.5 wont have the ears on the bottom.

85rear.jpg

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
The large square ears on the bottom of the case are 8.5's, the small pointy ears on the bottom of the case are 7.5's...

A

Anonymous

I can't and won't knock the 9" at all as it is what it is a Brute Beast. With that said you may want to look into the weight difference. I run a well built SBC that runs in the 10's pulling the front wheels off the ground with just the foot brake. I ran flat 11 leaving with one wheel off the ground and did that for 2 years w/ a 7.5. Very light rear and not intended for the abuse I put it through. After doing some good research its my opinion that the best bang for your money is the 8.5. Its lighter then the 9" and doesn't cost as much to build to suit an application. I run the 8.5 with the 35 spline moser kit with c-clip elimators, full spool and the 4.11 gears. My car is heavy and so is the driver (me) as I go 6-01 303lbs. I would have no problem leaving off a trans brake and I know several people that do. Measure gear thickness of the 8.5 and 12 bolt and see what you get. Two rears that are bullet proof and alot cheaper and lighter then the 9". Again not knocking the 9" just have the extra tq/hp to get it going, Good Luck and hey they are all good choices!!!

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
http://www.maliburacing.com/rearend_guide.html

http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/trannyid.shtml

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Im thinking that the weak point in the 7.5 is the clutches. If you ever spin one tire the clutches are gone

A

Anonymous

Lost of good info, thanks guys....

i have done some looking, and found an aftermarket 9" see the link below... Price doesnt seem to bad just need gears if i read it right... so about $1300 for a complete rear. I would think id spend that much to refresh an old 8.5.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MkMdlYrSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=1530078+4294966277&Ne=1147708&searchType=MkMdlYrSearch

It looks like finding a 8.5 for a G-Body is harder than it sounds... i havent found one yet....

A

Anonymous

Anyone have any advice on the 9" i found?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts