Butyl tape thickness for windows?

79wagonator

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
www.cardomain.com
I Just read this thread and I'd like to know also how you set the depth of the windshield?
I replaced my windshield last year cause it was leaking (and I cracked it changing the heater core, Doh!)
I cleaned up the channel and used the 3m primer with the 3m urethane.
I laid a nice bead but based on the consistency of the urethane I didn't see how to get it high enough without shimming it somehow. (Its too deep now :( ) I was thinking maybe I should have used the butyl to space it out then cover it with urethane? But I have a feeling that's not the right answer.
I should have did more research before I did the windshield.
Any Glass guys on here?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Dave,
Apparently urethane caulk is the chosen method to glue in windshield...and quarter windows in our cars.
Several years back, I installed a windshield in my old Porsche 914. I laid in butyl tape and put the windshield in.. then used butyl or urethane caulk around the perimeter of the windshield.
The local glass guy advised me to create a dam around the glass which seals it and helps bond it.

Various guys recommend different bead thicknesses of caulking. I'd like to be able to fit the trim back with no problems. That's one my biggest concerns.
Butyl tape can dry out and cause leaks down the road. I may let the glass guy install it and I'll do the quarter windows.

79wagonator

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
www.cardomain.com
Thanks Jack
I used urethane in my windshield and its too low
I guess I smooshed it in too far
I've been researching this and I saw another solution
If you lay a bead and let it dry a day trim where needed then lay another bead over that
And set windshield
Seems like a good idea to me.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Longroof79 said:
Dave,
Apparently urethane caulk is the chosen method to glue in windshield...and quarter windows in our cars.
Several years back, I installed a windshield in my old Porsche 914. I laid in butyl tape and put the windshield in.. then used butyl or urethane caulk around the perimeter of the windshield.
The local glass guy advised me to create a dam around the glass which seals it and helps bond it.

Various guys recommend different bead thicknesses of caulking. I'd like to be able to fit the trim back with no problems. That's one my biggest concerns.
Butyl tape can dry out and cause leaks down the road. I may let the glass guy install it and I'll do the quarter windows.
it's been "discussed" on here the butyl vs urethane with glass,I've always been a fan of the urethane on any glass that isn't held in by mechanical means.my el camino 1/4 glass has brackets that hold the glass and that's what i went with.whenever i remove a piece of glass that has threaded studs as part the glass and or it's surround,it has butyl tape.other than that you won't find the front,rear or side glass in uni body cars held in with butyl.yes the Malibu is a full framed car but i think if you guys have installed height concerns you might be able to play around and mock up with laying a few different size rubber fuel lines in the window jambs and see what looks good as an idea for how it will stand when you go to use urethane.with a helper on the other end of the glass of coarse.it will take some time but i think it will be worth it in the long run.that idea you have Dave of running a bead,cutting it,and running it again is a good idea.almost every glass guy under the sun cuts the glass out,trims the bead leaving some there and laying a new bead down on top of that.they don't have to use any primer and less urethane that way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts