Butyl tape thickness for windows?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Well, I will say when I did the windows some 18+ years ago, the window channels were cleaned to bare metal, painted, primed with butyl primer as was the glass. Lucky I guess.

Not saying it was right, but that is what the glass company I purchased the windshield from recommended, didn't know any better to question them on it.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
im guessing since he took butyl off cause we screwed up, it pulls the paint off easily, so if i use that on my back window is it possible that it will come out? i mean that the paint will rip off the car and the window will be beautiful sparkles on the ground? haha

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
If it wasn't painted properly and the paint is flaking and coming off with the butyl, it would do exactly the same thing with urethane. I would strip the window channel and prep it properly before installing the glass.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
I guess I liken the butyl/urethane debate to the laquer/urethane argument. Both have been used, both cover/color the car, one is more durable and better technology.

Just like everything else, prep is key. Use either without the proper primer, and failure is a matter of when, not if.

Personally, I prefer the urethane, as I think it's less likely to retain dirt and water in areas adjacent to it (think rusty rear window channels on old cars).

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I notice that there's urethane that's "primerless". I believe it's a Dow product. Is it just as acceptible as using a regular urethane with primer?

Another question, while we're on the topic of glass installation. Is it okay to reinstall the glass without putting the trim right back on afterward? Or is putting the trim back immediately after installing the glass the chosen method?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
The trim is really only cosmetic when using urethane, with the exception of a T style molding, which often is bedded in the urethane.

For the aluminum moldings, you can install pretty much anytime...you'll just want to make sure you have the glass set to the right depth.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
10secBu said:
so what's the trick to getting the glass set at the right height/depth with urethane?

The only way I know of is to do it while the urethane is still soft. If the glass is too high, you wont be able to get the trim to engage the clips. If it's too low, the trim wont lay tight against the glass.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
As for applying the urethane to the window frame. How much of a bead of caulk do you actually apply?
and do I need a heavier duty caulking gun?

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I could use some help with this as well. I am gathering information on how to reinstall my rear window correctly.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts