Butyl tape thickness for windows?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I know this thread is nearly a year old, but can we get some updates? It seemed to end abruptly. I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to reinstall my glass.

Thanks!..Appreciate it.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I bought new rear and front glass when I rebuilt the car. Installer set with urethane, came out perfect. Quarter glass was most difficult with all the cage bars and not being able to climb back there since they are installed from the inside.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
don't know if this will help you guys @all but here goes.I've never done glass on a malibu but i have installed glass on newer cars.if and when i have to use a standard caulking gun i find it much much easier to heat the tube of urethane with a heat gun before hand.usually the rechargeable caulking doesn't require warming of the tube.i cut the tube nozzle so like "V " so the bottom of the bead is the thickest and tapers as it goes up.it's just a preference.the bead is somewhere 1/2" tall or so.i like to start and finish my bead run at the bottom of the window opening in case their is a leak,it's at the bottom of the window and not the top. the 3m products i use require a primer on the painted surfaces before hand.whichever product line you use, check and see if yours requires one or not.hope it helped.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Todd and Chris.

Thank you for the tips on heating the caulk with a heat gun, plus cutting the "V" in the nozzle.
Before I attempt it myself, I wanted to know how thick the bead of caulk should be.
I'd also like to keep it neat and from oozing into the car.
When I removed my windshield, I noticed that there was a sort of foam dam around the perimeter of the window frame. From my estimation, that was to control the caulking and to keep it becoming a mess.

Thanks guys! I'm still open to suggestions and feedback.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
it's anywhere 3/8-9/16 an inch wide.some of the smaller 1/4 glass uses a smaller bead.to each their own.yes that foam dam was to stop the urethane from flowing into areas where it isn't wanted.i like that foam for some rear windows without moldings.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Chris,
I can't seem to find a listing for that foam stuff. I suppose it's can be found in a body shop supply?

My quarter windows were heavily glued in, and it almost appeared to have a rubber gasket there.
When I took the glass out and scraped and cleaned the pinch welds, I pulled what looked like reinforcement strings out of the rubber.
I know it was original. :-k

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
:oops: i was @misfit's yesterday and i didn't look at the glass on his wagon.without looking at the glass i can't say what the gasket situation is but i can't imagine the edges of the glass were exposed ALL THAT much it because of the era of car we are talking about.i could be wrong but without seeing it up close i can't say what to do.what i can say is go to westernglasssupply.com,(i tried to link it,it wouldn't work)click on auto glass,then click on moulding.scroll down to the page and see what looks somewhat like what you took out.ALMOST all of the moulding on that page the glass sits in a small channel and sticks to the glass.the blue they show inside the moulding on that page is double sided tape,it just keeps the glass and moulding together while you handle it etc.if and when the time comes I'll explain that process too.yes their different sizes,yes their different styles but I'm hoping it's something to work with/get you started.some are larger than others and they do list how wide they are.that size is with of the "tail" if you will from the edge of the glass outward.i don't think you'll find that foam glazing tape @a body supply buts it's worth a try.try a glass company they might sell you as much as you want.if not try western glass supply they carry some.i actually use a tape from Subaru believe it or not.it's about 1/4" by 1/4". I'm not sure the spacing on these wagon windows but you can lay the glass in the opening with the moulding and see what looks rite to you BEFORE you urethane it.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks for your advice, Chris.
I somehow had my doubts that my local body supply would have this type of tape. Like you suggested, an automotive glass supply would be the ticket.
A couple of suction cup tools would also come in handy, and make it easier to handle the glass.

I will pick your brain again later. So get ready... :lol:

Thanks again, man!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
your welcome,and if your gonna pick my brain please,go easy not much there ](*,)

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
melloelky said:
your welcome,and if your gonna pick my brain please,go easy not much there ](*,)

You're much too modest... :lol: I'll be easy on you... :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts