Stupid question for battery cutoff switch.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
So it didnt kill the motor or electronics?I thought it would.I wonder if your the guy that people around here saw and wondered when i put the black stripes on.Or when i got it to lift the tires.LOL Ive been thinking of redoing my car when i get back to work and putting white stripes on it.Liked that combo since i was 10 and my brothers best friend had a hugger orange,white stripe 69 camaro.Anyone have a pic of a orange,white bu.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Ive heard its a joke to go to 66 for a time only or grudge race.You know pumpgas?He races the e85 class now.I go down to 41 to watch him and hang out with him and carley,his wife.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
The engine will continue to run because it will run off the alternator. Yes, I know Jason (Pumpgas), my son is friends with him. Maybe I'll see you out at the track, Lee

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
5-door said:
Most tracks will never look at it, but I believe it's required that the positive cable be run through the switch. As far as I know, it's prohibited to cut the ground.

I was checked at our local track, and the Tech guy told me I followed the rules, Good job, glad to see you DID NOT interupt the ground. If I were you I would just do it right the first time. Just my 2C's.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Well i think we decided to run the positive through the cutoff and jegs has a alternator wiring interupt to kill the motor and alt .I guess it is better safe than sorry.Thanks for all the input though.Im really starting to like this site over any others just for the honest answers and overall friendlyness of everyone.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Cutting the ground circuit won't always work because even without a battery ground, the engine, frame, etc. can all act as ground-momentarily of course. On a car i just built for a customer, I too tried to figure ways around the NHRA rules while keeping the wire routing down to a minimum but yeah, it would suck to have tech tell ya u can't run until you fix it. To keep voltage drop to a minimum, I had to run 6 gauge power cable for the alternator charge lead for the battery and I ran 1-gauge for the power coming back to the car via a 150-amp resettable circuit breaker. We are running a lot of stuff on this car though. Utilizing a 93-97 Camaro LT1 fuse block underhood kept things tidy however.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Cut off switches on the ground side are dangerous & illegal for almost every racing organization. If you wreck & the ground wire gets cut before the swtch it can still ground against the chassis, so everything stays on even if the switch is "Off".

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts