Stupid question for battery cutoff switch.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Can you get away with running a shut off switch on the negative side instead of the pos.That way you wouldnt have to mess with running the alt wire to the back of the car.And the neg being shut off would do the same thing wouldnt it. :-k

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
This is what I found. It will work either way tho.

If battery is mounted in the trunk, the trunk must be sealed from the interior, as in installed back seat or paneled.
Battery cutout switch must be connected to positive cable. Should be ground cable, but NHRA might change the ruling someday.
Battery cutout switch must kill all electrical system, including engine and alternator, no running of engine after switching to OFF.
Battery switch must be labelled for OFF position, whether rotary switch or PUSH-OFF.
Battery must be bolted to frame member with min two min 3/8 inch hardware and in a vented box to the outside.

I also mounted my cut-off switch near the back off my left quarter panel. It passed tech at our track.
You can see the cut-off switch in this pic. I just hrew on some chesse mo stickers ON/OFF to get thru tech that weekend.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
See thats what im thinking,it should be the other way around.Especially on the newer cars that are injected. It would do a better job of killing all the functions of the car if you killed the ground circut.We only race on a outlaw track so i think were going to try it,prove it works and see if tech lets us through.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
After reading a bunch of posts, it seems as tho it is split as far as breaking the + or -. Some say the track never looks for that. I know they don't here. Another guy had an interesting point as far as breaking the - due to the fact if you had a rear end collision the positive wouldn't be flying around back there bouncing off of the body frame etc. That made sense to me. I have been an electrician for over 25 years.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Im pretty sure were gonna do the ground on the cutoff.Its just a better,cleaner install.It also seems safer just because ive seen someone drop a screwdriver across the switch and arc it out.By the way this is going in the back of a back halved 67 camaro w a roller big block and th400 with brake and just enough lights and electrics to make it legal.Its my brothers car and should be alot of fun. =D> \:D/ dancin_banana.gifThanks NEW2MALIBU for the input.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
Most tracks will never look at it, but I believe it's required that the positive cable be run through the switch. As far as I know, it's prohibited to cut the ground.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
sbmalibu said:
See thats what im thinking,it should be the other way around.Especially on the newer cars that are injected. It would do a better job of killing all the functions of the car if you killed the ground circut.We only race on a outlaw track so i think were going to try it,prove it works and see if tech lets us through.
that would be 41 ?

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Yep 41.U run there?I havent run my car in almost two years but i go down and hang out with some friends from time to time.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Don't break the ground. I originally wired mine like that and had to change it. When you do it on the ground side and shut the switch off the motor will continue to run. It was the only thing 41 ever found wrong on my car. It was also the only time they ever checked it. I fixed it and they never checked it again. Go figure. There have been many threads on this site regarding this subject. If they haven't been deleted, you should be able to search and find them. I'm not telling you what to do, but if you're wiring it, why not do it right the first time. You may go to some other track sometime and they may tech the car properly and not let you run. Lee

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
ya thats where i go. allso visit da grove, and the kicker is i live 20 min away from rt66.have not been there in 2 years.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts