stock lq4 blow thru turbo build

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
prairiehotrodder said:
Its real cool what your doing but the pictures of blown up LS parts don't convince me to build an LS very much!! :D
Just teasing ya.

Lol, I guess I better not take a picture of the pile of the junk ones in the corner of the shop then, I have wrecked about four motors now between the two turbocharged cars. what i learned is not to get greedy with the horse power to quick, the older ls motors seem to be delicate, the two that are running strong now are 2005's.

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
mc1984ss said:
rollcagerage said:
Cool! Sometimes I catch myself in a big darn rush because i wait all month for the 5 hours of racing, but try my hardest to answer any questions that people have and always try to help. It was a good time, made 6 passes, first pass was a 10.80et and the last two were 9.70et at 139mph. Theres some changes to make for the next rsd, on the 5.3l thats currently in the car has 6.0l heads on it witch make the compression way to low, on the last two passes i threw 25.5psi of boost at it with 16 degrees of timing. I figure it should have gone a lot faster so its getting the 5.3l heads back on it to build more compression, I'm really just getting started with this set up. Its cool meeting people on here from the area, do you go to all the rsd's? what part of wisconsin are you from? thanks for the comments, they help drive the next stage. John

John I sent you a PM

By the way, what was the ratchet strap for on your car that I saw as you were putting the hood on?

The ratchet strap? Oh Yah, I forgot to make some boost lugs on piping that connects the turbo to the carb hat and they kept blowing apart at the rubber boots so the last ditch effort was to try strapping it in place, it did work on the last run thou.

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
455_82malibu said:
cant wait till you get the bugs worked out john...should be a missle. I plan on coming to the Aug or Sept RSD..

Cool, we'll so you there, are you going to run dr's or slicks or any thing? I think andy has a set of 8.5" slicks

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I ordered the nitto nt05r drag radials...too lazy to change tires. Rsd usually has a pretty sticky track so they should work fine

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
Sweet build, very clean! Did you build or buy your core support since you seamed to gain quite a bit of room there...

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Sorry about the wait Slick, I have a house project going on thats consuming way to much brain space. So anyway the latest I have is I did put the original 862 heads back on the 5.3l and wow what a diffrence, my best run with the 317 heads was 9.70 with ALL the boost it could make, pined the waste gate shut. The first run off the trailer with the 862 heads was 9.80et at 139mph, it was only 17psi at 14degrees, the same tune with the 317 heads was 10.80et. What a world of difference that made, gained a second from just one compression point, 317 heads on a 5.3l is 8.6 to 1 and the 862 heads on a 5.3l is 9.5 to 1. As the day progressed I learned a safe tune at the end of the night was 22psi at 14 degrees on meth (added a snow kit) and the best run was 9.67 at 144mph SAFELY a few times. The end of the night came I pinned the waste gate shut dropped the timing down to 12 degrees for the added boost and went 9.64 at 150.03 mph. The #1 piston melted from running lean, should have known better, I was gaining et every time I added fuel I just dont know why didnt for the last run, even if I did add more fuel I bent two connecting rods witch basically means that the hp limit has been reached with the stock bottom end, there are things that need to be changed to go faster, the converter is not working efficiently it seems to be to tight and maybe the cam isnt tailored for the set up to well. For the next time were going to the track, sept. 20th, the car now has a 2005 6.0l, going to start with 17psi and 10 degrees with more fuel just to be safe, I really dont want to wreck this one, its a nice motor so I'm not going to push it like the other ones.... yet .. It also feels a lot stronger on the road than the other ones.

Oh yah. the radiator support was just home made to answer your first question, sorry about that. cool.gif

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
no worries! good luck next time out and with the house project!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts