stock lq4 blow thru turbo build

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Thanks!, I had a old bbc 496ci I used to beat on, made 833 wrhp, on one kit. I can honestly say that I'll NEVER go back, lsx is the way to go, Now I just wonder about the new lt1's....

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
I need to subscribe to this thread. I'm building a turbo LQ4 for my wagon right now. I'm running a single S475 with a 1.32a/r. I've collected most of the parts for it just waiting on more $$$ to come in.lol Mine will be blow thru as well. I've got Col. River's mild steel 2.5in. dia. builders kit, Tick Performance turbo cam, Victor Jr. intake, IWIS timing chain, ARP head studs and some other goodies. I'm running the truck manifold setup. So far I've smoothed the exterior of the manifolds to make them look like they're expensive and I've torn the engine down to the short block. I was suprised how clean the pistons were for 113,000 miles. I had very little carbon to clean off of the tops of the pistons. I'm not touching the bottom end except for swapping on a CTS-V oil pan. When everything's done I'd like make around 650RWHP and get some single digit passes..we'll see! I need to stop hi-jacking this thread now and post up some pix of my stuff! Good luck with the LS! BTW, what kind of a timing curve did you have in the MSD to get the engine running when you first fired it up? Thanks! Nick.

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Hijacking? No its all good, sounds like a good combo, overkill if your only looking for 650rwhp your E.T. will depend on your vehical weight. When I wanted to first start up my car I couldn't figure out why my laptop wouldn't talk to the msd, being in a hurry and wanted to hear it run I threw in the #6 pill... it fired up and then I couldn't wait to test drive it.. that was a mistake, didn't get one mile on the motor and detonated the #2 piston, so dont do that anyway. After another motor install I learned to to get my laptop to talk to the msd, what worked was the 40 dollar usb connector from radio shack, I have tried others ( cheap ebay, staples , ect) but they didn't work.

I cant figure out how to copy and paste a pic of my timing curve but I will try to explain it. My "RPM timing curve" starts at 15 degrees and is a straight line at 15 degrees all away across through all rpm.

My "MAP advanced curve" starts at 15 degrees and is straight till 13psia, 13psia is 0 vacum 0 psi, as an example when the motor is off and ignition is on with the laptop hooked up 13psia is a real time measurement on my car with my 2bar MAP sensor. For the skeptics this # should be 14.7 psig but this is just how far off my MAP sensor is or the atmosphere pressure at my location. From 13psia it ramps down to 0 degrees at 23.00psia witch would = 10psi of boost, from there is a straight line across at 0 degrees.

To sum this up when my motor is running at ideal I have 30 degrees of timing till it hits 13psia or 0psi, from there its pulling 1.5 degrees per lb of boost till 10lbs of boost, at that psi the timing just stays at 15 degrees. This will be the least amount of timing I will run till I get into mid 20"s lbs of boost.

This is my starting tune for 10lbs of boost, it should be plenty safe for E85, this next friday will be the first time at the track with this new set up, if your running gasoline your timing curve would be different. After running a few passes and collecting some data this curve will be changed.

Another part you should seriously consider is adding some kind of data logger with a wide band. I'm trying a LM1 from innovate technologies with a RPM converter, it records AFR, RPM I set the rest of my channels up to also record MAP and fuel pressure and I have a couple open channels left. Doing some test runs on the road and recording them, the graphs show data that prove to be real helpful like were its lean at what rpm and what boost and the fuel pressure at that millisecond, these are things that you cannot possibly watch when your trying to run down the track.

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Well, made some junk real fast, first pass off the trailer shorty past the 1/8 mile she let go of the 1 and 2 pistons, the tune on the data logger showed it wasnt to far off and the timing was generous, what it did show was 25lbs of boost and the older stock pistons dont hold up well to that so a different boost controller is in order.

In the end for a first pass off the trailer on a new set up heres what the slip says

1.44 60 ft
4.0852 330ft
6.3092 1/8 et
110.95 mph
8.22 1000ft et
126.50 1000ft mhp
9.98 1/4 et
118.21 1/4 mph

So anyway the next motor is almost ready, trying a 2005 5.3l with 6.0l heads, should be running at the end of the week.

mc1984ss

Frequent Racer
Apr 19, 2004
Wisconsin
I don't think I have ever seen this car on Malibu Racing until today and I am glad I found it! I recognized your car instantly because I watched it run up at WIR on Friday night. I loved watching the car run and was happy to see it in the pits with the hood off. I stopped by to ask you a couple of questions ( displacement boost e.t. etc) thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. The car is awesome and the fabrication looks great! Thanks again!

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Cool! Sometimes I catch myself in a big darn rush because i wait all month for the 5 hours of racing, but try my hardest to answer any questions that people have and always try to help. It was a good time, made 6 passes, first pass was a 10.80et and the last two were 9.70et at 139mph. Theres some changes to make for the next rsd, on the 5.3l thats currently in the car has 6.0l heads on it witch make the compression way to low, on the last two passes i threw 25.5psi of boost at it with 16 degrees of timing. I figure it should have gone a lot faster so its getting the 5.3l heads back on it to build more compression, I'm really just getting started with this set up. Its cool meeting people on here from the area, do you go to all the rsd's? what part of wisconsin are you from? thanks for the comments, they help drive the next stage. John

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
Its real cool what your doing but the pictures of blown up LS parts don't convince me to build an LS very much!! :D
Just teasing ya.

mc1984ss

Frequent Racer
Apr 19, 2004
Wisconsin
rollcagerage said:
Cool! Sometimes I catch myself in a big darn rush because i wait all month for the 5 hours of racing, but try my hardest to answer any questions that people have and always try to help. It was a good time, made 6 passes, first pass was a 10.80et and the last two were 9.70et at 139mph. Theres some changes to make for the next rsd, on the 5.3l thats currently in the car has 6.0l heads on it witch make the compression way to low, on the last two passes i threw 25.5psi of boost at it with 16 degrees of timing. I figure it should have gone a lot faster so its getting the 5.3l heads back on it to build more compression, I'm really just getting started with this set up. Its cool meeting people on here from the area, do you go to all the rsd's? what part of wisconsin are you from? thanks for the comments, they help drive the next stage. John

John I sent you a PM

By the way, what was the ratchet strap for on your car that I saw as you were putting the hood on?

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
cant wait till you get the bugs worked out john...should be a missle. I plan on coming to the Aug or Sept RSD..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts