rusty HEI distributor

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
Have you checked your timing with a timing light? I would if you have access to a timing light. It sounds like you have the distributor too far advanced. Did you put different weights or springs in the distributor? If you have no timing light, try rotating the distributor back (clockwise) a little and then tighten the distributor down. Take the car for a ride. If it still pings, back it down some more. Just remember clockwise retards timing, counterclockwise advances it. If it is pinging it is too far advanced. A little bit will go a long ways when moving the distributor.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Yup I have a timing light, set it to 4 BTDC which the sticker on the car called for.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Whats the best way to go to control light pinging when I'm at part throttle especially under load? Would it be trying different mechanical advance springs or adjusting the vacuum advance?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
timing lights are over rated. get it running decent, take it out, and load the engine, if it pings at all, retard it SLIGHTLY, do the same thing until it dosnt ping anymore.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Been driving with my new distributor for awhile now and am still having some problems with light pinging usually at when I'm accelerating at part throttle not when I'm at WOT. I've been using premium gas which helps a bit but I can still hear it a bit so I'm not sure what to do. The initial timing is at stock 4btdc so I dont really want to retard it anymore. It goes away with the egr hooked up but I've always noticed a bit less power with it so I'm wondering how I can work around it? I'm thinking of either putting in sparks one heat range colder or else I'll probably have to get an adjustable vacuum advance.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Beleive it or not hook the egr back up. It cools down combustion temps at part throttle conditions reducing pinging and will have no effect on full throttle application. At full throttle there is no vacuum to the egr valve leaving it closed.This in turn should allow for a more agressive vacuum advance curve helping part throttle drivability.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
I ended up recurving the distributor and installing larger Jets so now it runs perfect without any EGR, plus it has more power now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts