rusty HEI distributor

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Ok well I tried to take out the old distributor but the stupid thing is stuck :shock: I never read about this being a problem but I dont think it's been removed since the car was made so I can see why. Any suggestions on taking the dumb thing out without breaking anything?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Lots of wiggling & twisting :) \:D/ You could possibly spray some Liquid Wrench or something on it and let it sit for a bit, then try it, that might help a bit.

lester622

Dragway Regular
Sep 5, 2006
new orleans
k-man said:
Ok well I tried to take out the old distributor but the stupid thing is stuck :shock: I never read about this being a problem but I dont think it's been removed since the car was made so I can see why. Any suggestions on taking the dumb thing out without breaking anything?

did u unbolt the collar that holds it on?

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Doober said:
:roflback: I guess I should start with the obvious stuff eh? :lol:

IT'S NOT A HONDUH! :lol:

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Ok I got the dumb thing out after allot of prying. Now I just got to put the new one in, oh and the new distributor doesn't come with a new gasket for some weird reason. Not sure If I have to have it though since the old one was the reason the thing was stuck to the intake manifold.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
I finally got it installed and running party_dance.gif This is probably the hardest job I've done so thanks for all the help guys. Once I got the dumb thing out it was pretty easy to get the new one in right. I normally ran my car with the EGR unhooked but I'm finding now I get light pinging under load or heavy throttle. Am I right to guess this is because of the EGR? I'm just suprised that it can make that much of a difference with detonation since older cars ran fine without them.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
So besides retarding my initial advance is there another way to reduce detonation when running without the EGR? I do notice a loss of power when I hook it up so I'd rather not use it if I can, I'm thinking that adjusting the vacuum advance somehow would be the best step?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts