LS1 in an 81 malibu

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hello everyone, it's been forever since I've been here. My project has been on a seven year hiatus, but I am finally ready to start on it again. I'm planning to swap an LS1/4T60E into my '81 Malibu. Once complete, it will be my daily driver. I want to keep a/c and I'd like to see 25 mpg highway. I've looked through a few of the threads on here and on ls1tech.com. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to oil pan, engine mount or a/c issues. I'm assuming I'll need a custom driveshaft, any suggestions? If I do any engine upgrades, they would be pretty mild, possibly headers, intake or underdrive pulleys. I'm just looking to build something reliable, 350 hp is plenty for me. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
I have a 5.3L/lm7 going in 86 cutlass...I have DirtyDingo engine brackets that bolt to side of engine. Since u have ls1 engine and not LS based truck engine, the oil pan should work. If the oil pan doesnt work, get the GM muscle car oil pan kit from Jegs, Summit racing, or your local GM dealership(Chevy) parts department.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Take out a second mortgage. You'll need it. Swap is more expensive than I ever imagined, but is worth it. Can't wait till mine is done. You can go the salvageyard route, and save a ton of money, too. The engine's not even in my car yet, and I'm up to 5K....

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Oh, ok great. I'll research those brackets. I plan to go the junkyard route since I have the means to rebuild whatever I need to.

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I've found several different brackets. The dingo brackets allow you to move the engine back an inch. I've also seen energy suspension conversion brackets, but I think those move the engine forward an inch. When doing the install, am I going to have any clearance issues with setting the engine an inch back? I am going to keep my a/c box. Is setting the engine an inch back necessary for the install, or does it just improve weight distribution?

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
malicad said:
Take out a second mortgage. You'll need it. Swap is more expensive than I ever imagined, but is worth it. Can't wait till mine is done. You can go the salvageyard route, and save a ton of money, too. The engine's not even in my car yet, and I'm up to 5K....
yeah man upgrades are a killer for these LS engines..it has to be done though...maybe next year for me, school shopping is here now. :-"

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts