Flywheel bolts..Assebly lube or loctite

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
If ARP does not use washers and says to use lube and torque setting then for that application it sounds correct. For OEM applications I just make sure the threads are good and clean, no Loctite or lube and make sure they are plenty tight.

Later.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t5montecarlo said:
Every one I have seen used star lock washers. Even the GM picture shows a star lock washer (see my prior post of the parts book picture).

I am not doubting the LS6, but when was it made? Perhaps assembly techniques changed over time and Loctite was used in more recent assemblies?

Neat. The GM service manual for my 1980 shows split washers, which is what I've found most often.
I purchased my LS6 from GM in 87, But I don't remember the casting dates on anything. The only stamping on the block pad is "XAA" indicating crate LS6.

This is becoming interesting. It's really odd that I've only seen split washers and yet so many others have seen star washers. My 70 Chevelle assembly manual shows split washers, too. Maybe it's one of those "we used whichever supplier was cheaper at the time" type of things. To add to the confusion, GM sells flywheel & flexplate bolts that are different part numbers & neither uses washers at all.

The flywheel bolt #12337973 has a shoulder/built in flat washer:

12337973.jpg

The flexplate bolt # #3727207 head looks just like the bolt heads that were on my LS6 flywheel (the flexplate bolts are obviously too short for a flywheel):

140.jpg

Tommy

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
crazy man...just crazy.

The parts book does not give a PN for the washer, just a group, but the group (8.932) is not present in any of my books.

My automatic and manual flywheel bolts had the same large head; they just differed in length.

chevybowtie

Feb 24, 2011
every g-body with a 305 auto i've seen has used a this format, I've done 3, all identical setup.

ordered from back of car (back of torque converter) to front of car (front of flexplate):

nut -> split washer -> torqueconverter-> single shim(washer) -> flexplate-> washer -> bolt

no assembly lube or loctice. GAFT.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I finally thought to look at the 350 on the stand in the garage that I pulled out of a 78 Bu Htp that I had a while back,and yes it is a 350 by the numbers and no it was not the original engine but it has an auto flexplate still on it and it has as I expected the typical GM star lock washers on it,auto or manual every Chevy engine I've ever pulled had star lock washers on the flywheel bolts!
And that's been a bunch! Before I got out of the biz I did a clutch on I think it was an 87 C20 and as best as I can remember it was the same as the rest,that's probably the latest model Chevy I've been that far into,OK I just had a revellation!! Scary! I have the flywheel that came with my T56 set up which woulda come off of a late model LT! I-pc main engine so I just now went out and looked at it and it has marks around the bolt holes that were either made by a torqued flange bolt or a bolt with a small diameter washer installed but deffinatly not star lock marks,I submit the system was changed at the advent of the one peice main engine!
Well it sounds good anyway!! KillerDave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I still can't figure out why I've only come across split washers in all these years & probably over 50 diiferent bone stock vehicles I've pulled flywheels/flexplates... Maybe GM has a conspiracy to make me nuts...

Tommy

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I won't say if anyone is right or wrong here, but...I've never seen a Chevy motor with anything other than serrated star washers. I've never seen one with split lock washers. This would be both manual and automatics. I also have had many of these motors apart over the years. I have, however seen a few with NO washers, but I couldn't tell you if they had been apart before or original from the factory. Lee

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts