flywheel/bellhousing questions

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I guess I'm looking at it logically...

Most older cars, like A bodies I guess, I think, ran a 621 bellhousnig... I think...

and since the 606 is basically the same thing, with just a relocated fork ball stud... then "logically" for example, a 75 Corvette clutch and flywheel listed for the smaller bell and flywheel should fit just fine...

I believe that most of the clutch components are pretty much just your basic GM stuff, nothing special... so this stuff should fit... but I'm still a beginner at all this, so I could be wrong...

IF you guys get the urge to look into it and hopefully reaffirm this theory, it wuold be greatly appreciated... I just rummaged through the Autozone website through vehicle specific stuff and found these matching pieces for a 75 Corvette with a 350... As far as their basic descriptions, a flywheel listed for a 10.4 disc should be the 153 tooth and the clutch listed under a 10.4" should be the same designation and should match up...

I'm just running a standard 1st Gen SBC, 2-piece rear seal... Just a basic GM setup, should work...

I'm planning on buying these parts probably Saturday, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow...
Hopefully someone will give me some encouragng insight...
This logical thinking thing sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't...

85_SS

Dragway Regular
Aug 13, 2004
www.cardomain.com
I agree with your logic, and it should work, but I don't want to tell you to go ahead and get it beacuse I am not certain. Is there any reason you are opposed to getting a flywheel and clutch assembly for a 78-80 A-body?

For example, I am using an 84-92 F-body bellhousing, and have a flywheel/clutch assembly/throwout bearing to match. I'm sure other parts will work, but why play guinea pig on yourself :)

Clutch components can be very finicky and cause you a lot of grief if the slightest thing doesn't line up right or isn't matched properly. Unless I have read about someone using a certain setup, I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel when parts made for your setup are readily available and are certain to work together. JMHO

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The problem with your assumptions is that not all flywheels that are machined for a 10.4-inch clutch disc are 153 tooth. There are also 168-tooth flywheels machined 10.4-inch discs. Not all 168-tooth flywheels are machined for an 11-inch disc.

The 621 bellhousing is for a 168-tooth flywheel.

Perhaps it might be better to look at some manufacturer catalogs rather than a retailer's catalog. The manufacturer catalog would be more accurate. Then cross-refer your findings to a retailer.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I guess I am mostly trying to avoid spending $300 on a flywheel and another $300 on the clutch...

unless someone knows of a lot cheaper set somewhere...

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
rjleiker said:
I guess I am mostly trying to avoid spending $300 on a flywheel and another $300 on the clutch...

unless someone knows of a lot cheaper set somewhere...

You said cheaper set 'somewhere'. I am thinking that I am getting tired of looking at all of my old stuff.
My car was an orginal factory 4 speed. I still have everything:
606 Bell
z-bar
linkage
clutch fork
Center Force pressure plate. Not sure what happened to the flywheel, might have lost it. Not sure how.

None of these items are perfect except the clutch fork. The bell has a small crack. Z-bar is ok, the linkages all had flat spots on the ends, I had material added and then tried to grind them round. And the pressure plate has some hot spots after trying to launch behind the big block and sticky tires.
Perhaps these items are for sale.

85_SS

Dragway Regular
Aug 13, 2004
www.cardomain.com
I didn't realize the 78-80 parts were a fair amount pricier... you should be able to come up with a used flywheel for a decent price - resurfacing should only run $30 or so. The clutch assembly I'd get new though.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ok, so I did this write-up on my thread for my TKO-600 swap and figured I should let whoever is watching this one in on the good news...

ugh... so I went to Fenco's (the clutch manufacturer) website and roamed around their parts catalog for a while and compared clutches... here's what I came up with...

The 350 ci clutch kit for the 78 Malibu is a 10 spline...(NU1853-1)... it is the same kit that fits the 75 corvette with a 350... under the 75 Corvette is also an 11' disc kit (NU5551-8) with 26 splines and a 10.4" disc with 26 splines to match the TKO-600 (NU0056)... They also all use the same cover type and the same throwout bearing... so... from this crazy logic I figure that they should all match up pretty closely, except for the 11", to the smaller bellhousing and the smaller flywheel (FW96516)...

So, after all the research... I ordered the clutch kit and the flywheel today for under $200 for all of it... I need to still buy bolts and such though... so I ordered the clutch kit NU0056 and the flywheel FW96516...

Good ol' Summitracing.com verified all my theories real quick...
Just ran a cross reference of this clutch kit I found for the 81 Malibu... it pulls up pretty much every mid to full size car with a SBC from 1967 to 1988... I guess they're not that different after all and I didn't have anything to worry about...

Just an FYI about whats up... so if anyone else has any questions about this sometime later...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts