dying seatbelts

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
I'm changing everything in my bu to black, but having trouble with the seatbelts. Seems you can't dye them...they look great for a few minutes, but slowly return back to maroon, like the black dye almost entirely evaporates! any ideas? I'm using SEM's interior dye, it works great on everything else.
hope to have pics up of the new interior soon, wish I had taken pics of the old before it was stripped out

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
even good quality spray paint won't hold color on them...I give up, I need new black seatbelts!

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I had old faded black seatbelts in the Father/Son Malibu. I really didn't want to go the route of dyeing or painting the belts because I feared that it would rub off onto clothes. So I bought new aftermarket Beams seatbelts. Got them here: http://www.gotbelts.com They have different styles and worked out good in our Malibu.

Here's a shot of the front belts (not the best shot):
IMG_4143.jpg

interior_rear_quarter_640.jpg
interior_b-pillar_640.jpg

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
thanks for the info, and the link...I'm gonna try my favorite salvage yard first, but I had already concluded I'd have to buy new ones. I'll check out the place you got yours...your interior turned out nice, I kinda hate to post pics of how mine turned out...;)

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
An idea, any decent tops and interior shop, like Riggs Bros, should be able to sew new webbing onto your old hardware. I had them do that with my belts a couple years ago. They will either have on hand, or be able to order any color you want. I don't remember what it cost, but I remember being suprised at how cheap it was.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
thanks, tiedyemike, but the plastic holders are all bsted, the chrome buckles are rusty and pitted, I think it will be well worth the costs to replace them with new. trouble is, wasn't accounting for them in my budget right now, so as much as I hate it, they may have to wait, but thanks for the idea!

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
That's why I went with new ones. My rear seat belts latches were rusty and grungy. I replaced all the belts. I think it ended up costing about $200 for all new belts (front and back).

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
This is from the turbobuick website, but may help someone here.

I read this information in one of my Pontiac Enthusiast magazines. I do not have any information on what color of dye to use or where to get new release buttons. You may want to contact Kirban or gbodyparts.com for this information. I believe gbodyparts.com has the correct paint for the latch covers though.

1. Start with giving them a good cleaning with soap and water using a scrub brush. rinse with cold water.
2. Check belts for frays thin spots and mold. Replace with a good used belt if needed.
3. If they need to be dyed, use 8 ounces of dye in a roast pan bringing it to a simmer. Fully extend the belts and DO NOT submerge retractors. Let the belts simmer for about a half hour. Rinse thoroughly in cold water. Let dry.
4. Wash belts again in WARM water and mild detergent to get rid of the dye residue. Rinse in cold water and let dry.

80 MICH BU

Dragway Regular
Oct 26, 2004
Northern Michigan
MalibuRacing said:
I had old faded black seatbelts in the Father/Son Malibu. I really didn't want to go the route of dyeing or painting the belts because I feared that it would rub off onto clothes. So I bought new aftermarket Beams seatbelts. Got them here: http://www.gotbelts.com They have different styles and worked out good in our Malibu.

Here's a shot of the front belts (not the best shot):
IMG_4143.jpg

interior_rear_quarter_640.jpg
interior_b-pillar_640.jpg

Phil, do those after market ones have a tension relief like the stock ones? Also do they hang well from the upper anchor? (see your driver side photo) . Mine have been acting up for some time and my drivers side stop working over the weekend...
Terry.

Randy W

Frequent Racer
malihoochie said:
This is from the turbobuick website, but may help someone here.

I read this information in one of my Pontiac Enthusiast magazines. I do not have any information on what color of dye to use or where to get new release buttons. You may want to contact Kirban or gbodyparts.com for this information. I believe gbodyparts.com has the correct paint for the latch covers though.

1. Start with giving them a good cleaning with soap and water using a scrub brush. rinse with cold water.
2. Check belts for frays thin spots and mold. Replace with a good used belt if needed.
3. If they need to be dyed, use 8 ounces of dye in a roast pan bringing it to a simmer. Fully extend the belts and DO NOT submerge retractors. Let the belts simmer for about a half hour. Rinse thoroughly in cold water. Let dry.
4. Wash belts again in WARM water and mild detergent to get rid of the dye residue. Rinse in cold water and let dry.
I've been using a variation of this method in my shop for 40 years, using Rit dye. Won't work very well if you already tried spray dye usually, though.
I usually soak the belts, retractors and all in a heavy mix of dish washing liquid and water, overnight, then scrub everything with a brush, use fine steel wool on the chrome then let everything dry real good. then follow the directions above, but don't boil them it makes the webbing weak and they can fail in accident! After everything is done and the belts are dry, I put some spray silicone lube in the retractors and buckles. ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts