305 Dying

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Check your flex plate maybe that's what is making a knocking noise. They do today when there cracked.a lifter sounds more like a ticking sound. Flex plate sounds just like a rod knocking.
Damon said:
Truck TBI engines are flat tappet. Car TBI engines use roller cams. The truck block MIGHT be a roller cam block (it's kind of a crap shoot- some were, some weren't), but even if it is a roller cam block it will have a flat tappet cam and lifters in it.

TBI heads are the weirdo 87-up bolt pattern. The center two intake bolts are "stood up" at a steeper angle than earlier heads. You can modify an earlier intake to fit, but I wouldn't bother. The 305 heads off your old engine would work just as well as the factory TBI heads.

If you can build up that 400 in a reasonable timeframe I agree taking a pass on that 350 TBI engine would probably be a good idea. If you just need something to throw in it real quick to get it running, then pick it up, swap your 305 heads and intake onto it and drop it in.

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
well guys here is a crappy cell phone video of the sound...althou I am thinking this morning it might be a bad exhaust leak because it is getting louder but...when hot it goes away.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That sounds too fast to be an exhaust leak. Have you tried unbolting the torque converter and eliminating that from the equation? Like fhc said there's a chance it could be the flexplate, though I've never heard a cracked one before... it's a free check shrug.gif

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I agree with Doober, too fast for an exhaust leak. Sounds like piston slap or a cracked flexplate but sounds can also be decieving.

Its really a really hollow sound, try the rubber hose to you ear trick and see if you can track it down or if you can feel the vibration thru the block.

If the 305 needs work jump on that 350 for $200 ( your exhaust should bolt up ) and install it as-is. The 350 is probably a 2bolt main and will need work anyways to get it going. For the $200 spent you could swap the 305 for a running replacement ( just happens to be a 350 ) while you check out the 400 to see if it's a rebuild candidate.

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
you can not feel the vibration at all in the block I even swapped valve covers this weekend since they were leaking anyways and none of the valves seamed too loose...My stepdad thinks it's a sticking lifter but I do not know...I do know what ever it is it's getting worse...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I had a cracked flexplate once. It makes a very dull sound and it is erratic at idle, not consistent and sharp like yours. It was hard to detect the source of the dull sound as it sounded like a bearing noise.

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
That does not sound like a rod knocking or even less for sure not a stuck lifter. It sounds like something rubbing on the flexplate or maybe its cracked. Does it change pitch when you put it in gear or does it get faster real quick then slower again. To me it sounds to fast for a rod knock. sounds like the teeth on the flex plate rubbing something maybe the starter. You need to get down there and check that first.

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
It sounds like the fan hitting the fan shroud to me. It sounds like a gear like object hitting something thin like plastis or sheet metal a rod knock sounds dull and thick and hallow let us know what you find im curious now I heared you video like 5 times. Seems to me like you havent tried checking things first you wanna assume its something serious right away and your looking for a new motor. I hope its not I really do good luck to you

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
something that happened to my 1983 305 was that the outer ring on the damper moved closer to the timing cover and began to rub. Check to see if this is also happening to you.

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
well I am grasping at straws really... but I do tend to think the worst and I just cant have the car down that long but after looking around if it died today I could have a motor in it before the end of the weekend so I am not too worried about it just really do not like the idea of it leaving me stranded somewhere. So I posted on here with hopes of help...thanks anyways! it is not the fan hitting anything the sound is coming from the motor/ bellhousing... I have to work tomorrow then I am off till next tuesday so I will see if I can sort it out.... I will check the dampner as well

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts