Creep in park/tight reverse

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
In park, car wants to creep forward if you bring up the RPM's. Car struggles to move backwards in reverse, like it's fighting to go backwards. You can actually feel the suspension load up before it rolls. Forward gears seem to work fine. This is a manual valve body, no trans brake. Car hasn't done much but roll around the garage and driveway a bit. Does this just sound like the shifter cable is out of adjustment? (TH400 for reference)

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Checked linkage/readjusted cable, it's fine. Went to put it in reverse, and it fights to move. It goes in reverse intermittently, and will only move once you creep up around 2000 RPM. It sometimes wants to creep forward in park, and today it started creeping forward in neutral. Forward gears seem fine. I readjusted the shift linkage while in neutral, it was pretty close to begin with.

Any ideas what's wrong? This is a TH400, manual forward pattern valve body, no brake.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Checked the s clip and pulled the pan. Nothing sticks out at me, and the fluid is perfect. I'm at a loss here :(

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Turbo 400's work off vacuum if i remember right, could the govenor be bad? Maybe something in the valve body is sticking.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I am wondering if the valve body itself is leaking between passages... and feeding 2 different things but I am not a transmission guy...

Chris K.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Gear changes are mechanical, not vacuum. It's possible something is sticking, but I don't know. Every time I changed the gear selector after I dropped the pan, it would pump fluid. I didn't see any check balls or anything in the pan, no sign of any metal or trash... and what kills me is that it literally changed overnight.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm not a trans expert either, but it does sound like something is amiss with the valve body, unless there is some sort of adjustment for the shifter detent inside the trans. If it's in park and wants to move forward and fights reverse, sounds like gears that shouldn't have pressure are getting them before they should, or when they shouldn't at all. The only thing the shifter being out of adjustment would likely do is not let you shift the trans into a specific gear.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I'm just going to put fluid in it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I'm pulling it and putting a frickin' glide in.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
try taking the shifter out of line all together.put it in park and disconnect the cable at the trans,see how it behaves with the shifter out of line.have someone under the car(no i'm not crazy)go through the gear selector at the trans with a set of vise grips on the to flats of the shaft that the cable hooks to.see how it behaves.i'm not much for transwork but its what i'd try.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts