Courtesy lighting delay upgrade question

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Ok, I got a question. I'm sure somebody here has upgraded from standard courtesy lighting to the delay timer setup. Is it a plug & play type of thing? I can get an NOS delay relay for free locally, but looking at the diagrams it appears there's more to it than just plugging the timer in to an unused connector. It looks like you need to unplug some connectors from the light switch & junction block & reroute them to new connectors on the delay & back to the junction block. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Tommy

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
if you figure anything out be sure to post it up....maybe it will help me fix mine. the car had it originally and the delay timer works but only for the footwell lights....the dome goes on and off with the doors and when you click the light switch to interior lights the only thing that comes on is the footwells. I'm quite sure it's something I did when I changed out the dash many years ago but no matter how many times I look at it I still can't figure out where I went wrong.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Nobody's done this??

TTT

Tommy

Not yet Tommy, something it is something I am looking into for my Buick since I am adding ALL the bells and whistles to it. I had a few of the factory delay timers, but they were all bad. My Elky had the delay, and it would stay on and kill the battery. I'll be looking over at the 12volt forums to see if I can come up with something using radio shark parts.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Ecklers sells replacement boards for the factory timer for $30.00 & complete timers for about $95.00.

Tommy

I never knew that, that sounds easier. I'll have to pull out the schematic, i am curious as to what else needs to be added to a harness that is without the delay timer.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I've been too busy to toy with Madge lately, but I found out from Eckler's website that the factory just taped the delay timer to the wiring harness behind the glove box, so I may break out the wiring diagrams & start poking around under there. Maybe I'll get lucky & find some suspicious unused connectors just hanging there. [-o<

Tommy

I remember on my Elky the timer was under the ds between the column and the fuse box, tucked up there tight. I guess I depends on the year with their location.

If you beat me to it, popst up your results so other can find it, and I'll do the same.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts