Courtesy Fuse keeps blowing

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
It doesn't matter what you unplug if its shorted out before the bulb its still going to blow a fuse. You need to find out where is shorting out.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Without the fuse in, see what your resistance between the 12v side and ground side is on the extra cigarette lighter plug. If it's 0 ohms then somewhere in your wiring you have a wire touching ground. If you do then that's what I'd start looking at.

You said you wired an amp, I'm assuming you ran separate wire for +12v? If you wired it directly to the same line as the cigarette lighter, that's probably your problem... most amps have built-in capacitors for reserve power on instant power draws (bass drum, etc.). Without any resistor to gradually charge the capacitor, there is a high instant draw, which can blow that fuse. I'm not saying you've wired it this way (you seem pretty sensible, i.e. knowing a larger gauge wire is good for an amp), but I've seen some pretty strange wiring jobs and just wanted to cover the bases.

If the amp isn't wired to that circuit, I'd look at any wiring you added like 79Landau mentioned. I've put in a ton of stereos over the years (many just simple aftermarket decks, etc.), and depending on how everything is hooked up - like if the wire is twisted together/taped - you could get a stray strand off the battery lead and it will short to ground even though you thought you've taped everything up nice & tidy. If you have any constant 12v leads loomed/taped together with ground wires, try separating them and see if that solves it. If not I'd start tracing the +12v wire back to its source to see if it's chafed on anything.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
Tony_SS said:
It blows as soon as I put the fuse in, or soon as I hook up the neg battery cable with the fuse in.

Weird thing is, I can not get my stereo to power on without the 20a courtesy fuse in. And It is wired directly to the fuse box - yellow to battery and red to ign and it wont power on w/o a 20a courtesy fuse. Of course now I can't even keep that fuse from blowing.

I could sure use so sort of breaker instead of a dozen fuses... good idea.

something is odd about that stereo wiring. I like to avoid the factory wiring altogether and run the + constant power and + ign power directly to one of the "open" pins in the fuseblock and use an in-line fuse for safety. By what your are saying above it sounds like yours is wired the same way but somehow it must be tied into the courtesy line somewhere. The wiring on your deck may be different but most I have done are
Red= 12v constant
Orange= 12v switched/ign
Yellow = remote wire to the amp

Maybe start with removing the amp and see where you are at, then maybe next the stereo. Tracing a wiring problem is never fun. I have an intermittent ignition based humming sound ( gets louder the fast the engine revs ) coming thru my stereo maybe 3-4 times a year that drives me nuts because I cannot find it.

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
I ran 10g wire from the battery to the amp in my trunk, with an inline fuse. The blue wire goes from the back of the head unit to the amp. I'm going to unhook the those wires and see if I cant get the head unit to power.

But am I correct in that the head unit should power without the courtesy fuse in???

According the Alpine manual, yellow (thick wire) goes to the battery term on the fuse box, and red goes to the ign. Thats the way I have it hooked.

I have totally unhooked the cig lighter wires.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've seen some turn on but won't do anything else, but the majority I've worked with won't power on without both connected. Different companies make their units differently... that Alpine wouldn't be the first I've seen with a heavy battery lead... the manual probably mentions going right to the battery or a source capable of high current, doesn't it? I've wired them like any other radio before, mainly because I was running an amp from the start (the heavy gauge wire is for the internal amp of course). The power wire for the amp shouldn't have any effect since it went straight to the battery, and the blue trigger wire was fine too.

Did you disconnect the wiring for the lighter plugs at the source, or just at the plugs?

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
I had the same problem with mine. I always had to change the fuse before the yearly safety inspection because the horn runs on the same circuit. Changed out the radio and haven't had any problems since.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
Tony if you haven't gotten any where by Thursday, I'll be going to pick my wife up from the airport. I get out of class at noon and she gets in at 7:45....depending on your schedule, maybe I can stop and take a look. Sometimes a fresh perspective helps a lot lol

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Get yourself one of these. It will come in realy handy more than once.
It can be a real pain tracking down a short. I've used this on everything from Airstream trailers up to garbage trucks at work.

It looks like your on the right track, reverese what you've changed and work your way back

KD Tools 2524 Short Circuit Detector KD2524
thumbnail.asp

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts