4.8L truck engine ?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Mr. MaliBlu said:
Worcester EH? What yard was it?

Standard Auto on Granite Street.
Man $600 long block is a deal. It has a iron block right, do you know what it weighs?

It is all iron, block and heads (for now anyway...). Not sure on the weight, but on LS1TECH i found it said "520 LBS per Will Handzel’s “Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s” book". About 100 lbs more than an all aluminum LS1, it also said.

Thanks for the info, but does it say if 520 lbs is for one thats all iron, iron block and aluminum heads, or all aluminum?
Ya in a scoggin dickey catalog I have they say that an iron block weighs 75 lbs more than a aluminum one, I guess that mean the heads save about 25 lbs.
If thats 520 lbs for the all iron than dang their light, isnt a sbc around 575 lbs or so?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Ive spent the last several hours over at ls1tech and found a guy that said a 5.7 weighs in at 420 lbs so I guess answers that. I want one! ;)

A

Anonymous

Alright, I'm convinced. Gonna go for a 6.0. Unless I got a 4.8 for nearly free or something.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Northwet said:
Doober said:
Have you checked http://www.car-part.com yet?

What are you guys using to search under?

Is there a donor that is best suited to a G-body swap? Certain models that have an oil pan that fits best or the front accessory drive that fits better than others, etc?

The time I looked at that site & called one of the local yards. The prices were a whole lot more than what I’m hearing on this & other boards.

Thanks

Sorry, I seem to have missed this post lately. I searched for any 3/4 ton full size truck (listed as Sierra or Silverado 1999 and up in the model field) later than '00 for a regular 6.0. If you want to spend a little more money (probably not totally worth it unless you want to just bolt in a complete motor) you can also look for an '02+ Escalade and get a 345hp/380ft.lbs. motor (the standard 6.0s are about 300hp/355ft.lbs.). So that's closer to the output of a stock LS1, but because of the added displacement the power/torque will come in slightly earlier. I'm almost willing to guess part of this is in computer tuning, but I could be wrong. You'll also get more low end torque from the truck intake than you will the car intakes, but then you won't be able to run the car accessory brackets, and I'm not sure how the truck brackets will fit a G-Body. I've read the C6 Vette oil pans fit most front-steer cars (steering linkage in front of the crossmember) without issue (Hot Rod I believe said it, maybe Chevy HP), the truck pan fits (I think with slight modification), and Moroso also makes a pan that's supposed to fit most 'muscle' cars without fitment problems.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I wouldnt use a 1999 they use the cast iron heads, try newer...then you have aluminim heads.

A

Anonymous

I found a 4.8 for 600 with only 19k on it, cant decide if i want to spend 200 less for a smaller motor with alot less miles. Most the 5.3s around here go for 800-1k and have 70k+ in miles.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I wouldnt be afraid to buy one with 100K..Look at all them on the road that have 150K miles and still run like a top. I think it was on ls1 a guy took apart a 5.3 with a little over 100,000 and it looked fine inside.

MustangPunk

Weekend Racer
May 4, 2006
Trufant, MI (Ft. Riley, KS)
Yeah with routine mantaince (though you may buy someones neglected pos) the LSx's run forever, I swapped out the 5.3L in my Silverado with a Iron block 6.0L with l92's. I'm gonna to be putting the 5.3 in the malibu and was gonna rebuild her (150K), but it looked mint, and the thing never used/leaked a drop (knock on wood). Just gonna get some new head/intake gaskets and let her eat for right now.

A

Anonymous

im mostly an Olds guy...not that i have anything again Chevy i love Chevy too...i just dont own one right now... i run a 455 olds n my G-body cutlass..and in the next few years seeing how Olds parts are starting to really dry up...im going to go with 5.3 or 6.0 power...

i can personally say that ive been keeping my eyes on 6.0s around my neck of the woods and the best deal ive seen as yet was an 02' 6.0 with 75k long block mind u...going for $550! thats not bad at all! soo...im thinking a carbed 6.0 with a 4l60E.....in my Cutlass....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts