4.8L truck engine ?

A

Anonymous

I know everyone wants the 6.0 and the 5.3 but I was looking at the 4.8 a little since it's not so much in demand and may end up being a good deal. It's the same block and heads as the 5.3, but it has a 3.27 stroke crank and 6.278 long rods vs. the 6.098 rods that the 5.3/6.0 have.

3.27 stroke and 6.278 rods means a rod/stroke ratio of 1.92 which is VERY good. This is just a touch more than the 69 Z/28 302 (1.9 rod/stroke ratio). It should rev like crazy without too much stress on rotating assembly.

I'm just wondering with the stock rotating assembly, what kind of RPM's this motor could turn given the ideal cam and valve train.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Have you checked http://www.car-part.com yet? I was able to find both a 5.3 and 6.0 for under $800 within an hour or so of me. You may not have the same luck, but they're out there :) Just checked for the 4.8 and it's the same price :p

A

Anonymous

Yeah I've been checking on there and I noticed the same thing, they all seem to be going for the same price. I'm hoping when the time comes I can score a ~50,000 mile or less 6.0L for under $1000. I'm not really wanting to rebuild one, just wanna take a stock motor and run a cam and appropriate valvetrain.

Though a used LS1 T56 is a different story on there....$1200 for a grenaded transmission. :roll: $2000-$3000 for a 100,000+ mile used one.

A

Anonymous

Doober said:
Have you checked http://www.car-part.com yet?

What are you guys using to search under?

Is there a donor that is best suited to a G-body swap? Certain models that have an oil pan that fits best or the front accessory drive that fits better than others, etc?

The time I looked at that site & called one of the local yards. The prices were a whole lot more than what I’m hearing on this & other boards.

Thanks

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
4.8 is low on torque..5.3 miminum

Mr. MaliBlu

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2004
Northeast CT
We just purchased a 6.0L LQ4 yesterday for $700. I found it using car-part.com, as well. It was 45 minutes from me in Worcester, MA. The engine had only 40,000 miles on it. Very clean looking. Was complete with intake from the truck. They remove starter, power steering, alternator, etc.. I guess this is typical of all the yards. I used a 1999 chevrolet silverado truck as the base search, with the 6.0 engine to narrow down the results. Keep playing with the years from 1999-up, as you get various results. Good Luck!!!

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
Mr. MaliBlu said:
We just purchased a 6.0L LQ4 yesterday for $700. I found it using car-part.com, as well. It was 45 minutes from me in Worcester, MA. The engine had only 40,000 miles on it. Very clean looking. Was complete with intake from the truck. They remove starter, power steering, alternator, etc.. I guess this is typical of all the yards. I used a 1999 chevrolet silverado truck as the base search, with the 6.0 engine to narrow down the results. Keep playing with the years from 1999-up, as you get various results. Good Luck!!!

Worcester EH? What yard was it?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Mr. MaliBlu said:

Man $600 long block is a deal. It has a iron block right, do you know what it weighs?

Mr. MaliBlu

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2004
Northeast CT
Worcester EH? What yard was it?

Standard Auto on Granite Street.
Man $600 long block is a deal. It has a iron block right, do you know what it weighs?

It is all iron, block and heads (for now anyway...). Not sure on the weight, but on LS1TECH i found it said "520 LBS per Will Handzel’s “Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s” book". About 100 lbs more than an all aluminum LS1, it also said.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
T5MalibuWagon said:
Mr. MaliBlu said:

i payed $350 for my 5.3 with intake, rails, TB, all sensors ect. complete with pan and accesorie brackets. With 70K on it.

An iron block weighs about 100 lbs more than an alumincum ls1 block.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!