Future engine for the truck (383?)

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
That is my buddy that I told you builds motors. If he says it's good, you can count on it.

Like I said before, I can have it shipped to you awfully cheap!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I came across an ad for a 10k-mile 'crate centerbolt' (reman. or new block is unknown) 350 coupled with a 4-speed for $500, so I'm going to see if he'll be willing to separate the two for half the cost. If everything turns out to be in good shape I may wind up saving a lot of money on machining costs.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Doober said:
I also picked up the throttle body yesterday. It's mounted to what I'm pretty sure is a factory TBI-to-spreadbore adapter...

You're welcome for the tip :D

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I said your welcome because I was the one that recommended the 454 throttle body as an upgrade in this post: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93756&p=711407&hilit=throttle#p711407

OOPS, that wasnt even on a thread you were posting on :lol: ](*,) #-o

There are several online formulas to figure compression ratio out, BUT the only true way to do it is when you assemble the engine. You need to measure how far down in the hole the pistons are, piston cc, combustion chamber cc (you cant go by what the manufacturer says they are, they're usually wrong) head gasket compressed thickness, then plug them in. You can get close otherwise, but it wont be exact. Sometimes it can even be off by a full point or more if your guessing at figures.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Doober said:
Thanks? I'm a little confused :lol:

I'm also looking for input on pistons. Like the age-old debate of turbo vs. s/c, regular vs. long rod setup, what about (hyper)eutectic vs. forged pistons? What I've read is the forged is more durable when subjected to abuse (of course), but the eutectics are better for longevity because their rate of expansion isn't as high as forged.

I'm also needing a little help on actually figuring out what the static compression ratio will be.

Shoot me all you info an I can run it through our P/T Engine Pro Software.

Depends on what you are going to do and how forgiving you want it to be.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's going to be 95% street, daily driven. I may take it to the track just to see how it'll do, but I don't have intention on weekend races (maybe stoplight ones :lol:). Max RPM will be 5,000 or below. I'd like to stay in the 87-octane realm if possible, but if not, it's not going to be a huge deal. I've been trying a lot of different hydraulic roller cams with DesktopDyno, but it's one of those programs I only half-trust, because I built an 'engine' based on the 350 in the Malibu, and had to tweak a couple things to get the same curve... it was close to start with, but was probably 10hp-15hp or so off.

On another note, I think I found my engine. It's claimed to be a crate motor, and very well may be, it's just hard to tell because it's been painted red (a little flaked off & you can see some of the original black paint... who knows). I'm probably gonna pick it up here in the next couple hours hopefully.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts