360demonRT's 78 build

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
It's a big intake for sure lol. I'm going to get a 4" pin on hood eventually, hope it will raise in the front fast enough to clear.If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to get a piece of wood or something to lay across the car and attempt to measure how tall it actually is...

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
Been practicing with my new tig welder. I suck at it so far, but hope to get good enough to atleast do my own exhaust fab, maybe frame notch, and stuff like that

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey, thats not bad at all!! I also am learning to TIG. Ive already done some project on the car with it. Made my own tubular rear control arms, and welded my seat brackets back together this past weekend. TIG welding is a blast!!

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
I love it so far! Never really did any fab work, thinking about tackling a rear frame notch... I think they make kits that come with the metal to weld back in, that would be good for me. Measure it back, cut it flat, weld a flat piece back in and tuck a 275/28x10.5. I know I can get them to fit without the notch, but I want this car low. Not WalMart speed bump danger low, but really close.

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
a 275 RADIAL does not fit in the stock well.. I have them on my car, and there is no way in hell they would fit in there comfortably without notching and rolling/cutting the wheel lip.

Im frame notching mine here as soon as I get this last bit of painting done! Then the body is coming back off the frame for the final time (thank god!!)

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
just thinking out loud here

'I wonder how much headache it would be to cut the stock wheel well and move it in an equal distance to the frame notch then just weld in a strip however wide that movement was'

I need to do more research before i bring out the saw lol

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
I should have worded it better before. The well itself SHOULD be fine with a rolled lip. Might take some massaging with a BFH, but the frame is the cause of the issue.

oldschool

Frequent Racer
Nov 13, 2003
concord, NC
360demonRT said:
I love it so far! Never really did any fab work, thinking about tackling a rear frame notch... I think they make kits that come with the metal to weld back in, that would be good for me. Measure it back, cut it flat, weld a flat piece back in and tuck a 275/28x10.5. I know I can get them to fit without the notch, but I want this car low. Not WalMart speed bump danger low, but really close.

You can fit a 275 street tire or a 28x10.5 without a notch or tub on a 8" wheel... But if you want it to sit low like mine or lower it will rub a little on the outside of the factory tub... I was goiing to just split the tub at the seam but it wont allow you to sit low so i'm going with a full tub to get past it, plus i'm going with a 10" wheel

Here is a pic for you to know what i'm saying, in the pic the part of the tub to the left of the seam dives down to the quarter panel... That is where it will rub, mine rubs if i have a passenger, and forget about someone in the back seat...Another part of my problem is my rear is shifted to one side (so thinking now you may not have the problems i do) jst a FYI if you want a 10" wheel it might rub without a full tub JMO

20140427_112815.jpg

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
It'll be a while before I get to that point anyway. Currently trying to wire everything up with the Holley. I'm sure it really not that hard, but I suck at electronics and I still need a 4 bolt tb and some sensors. Got flustered at it and pushed it back in the shed lol.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts