360demonRT's 78 build

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
Finally got the motor out, pulled the motor and trans together. The motor was locked up and I couldn't get it broke loose to turn and pull the converter bolts.

getting kind of upset with waiting on the cam... ordered it last Monday. Hopefully get it tomorrow... If not, i plan on calling my supplier and ordering from a different vendor.

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Who did the cam? Specs

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
Brian Tooley. I messaged them with the plans, they said this is what they would use.

230/235 114+4

Set it up for a forged 5.3, tfs 220, Holley Hiram, twin s366. Hope to work on building this motor next year, setting up the turbo side this winter.

Told them I didn't give a damn about driveability, just wanted to push this combo as far as I could

Last edited by a moderator:

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Do yourself a favor and dont buy the BTR lifters, as they are not needed. LS7 lifters work just grand. Also, get PAC springs... Only way to go. A bit more pricey, but they are not chinese junk springs. Solid, American made and backed springs.

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
Already ordered/paid for BTR dual springs (bought the cam kit), not sure who makes them. Not getting lifters at the moment, lots of people run high rpm, super nasty cams on the stock ones. Hoping the car will run at least mid 12s through manifolds until winter... Should be in the 340ish rwp range?

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
didn't realize the lifters were that inexpensive, may pick up a set when i build a real motor. haven't heard anything about spring failures, hope i don't get to be the first lol.

on a bright note, my cam stuff did ship today so that makes me happy.

on a darker note: looked at my transmission and the tail shaft (output shaft?) is floppy as hell. you can grab the splines and just clank it off the walls and hear sh*t moving around in there. so my goal of may third may be off a little because i don't want to buy another stock trans just to pull it out this winter when i go turbo. guess i'll pinch my pennies and go on and try to get my PTC stuff :-/. might get it running before summer is over

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
got the ok from the boss to go on and order the rest of my fuel system stuff. some from jegs, some from summit (jegs didn't have the hose i wanted lol). i'm off all next week so after i finish my english research paper (8 pages), microbiology term paper (1000 words), weekly marketing, microbiology, and information systems homework i hope to do some hardcore tinkering...

ALSO (i know you guys probably really don't care) I should find out from the bank tomorrow about buying my parents house (dad and grandpa built it when i was a pup, sits on the 60 acre farm, on the river, that will be mine one day as well).

if the house comes through (depending on the amount of down payment) i'll most likely be going to look at a GTO (04 m6) that the wife has fallen in love with and decided she needs.

so, with all the sh*t i have going on, i really hope to at least hear this damn thing run in the next couple weeks.

should be a starter, alternator, and coil packs away...

back to homework... if work is paying for most of it or not, hell with college!

mini rant/spill over lol

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts