Wheel hop....isn't getting better either. :(

Alex41

Weekend Racer
Nov 4, 2013
Fort Belvoir, VA
Here are some pics of the home made relocation brackets I made.

Honestly, if it doesn't wheel hop when I slip the clutch out at a certain speed, I can feel the car lift better than it had before. That being said, I guess I didn't really waste my time today.

Malibu10_zps053e1e34.jpg

Oooohhhhhh.....welds. 8)
Unfortunately I had to cut the inside bracket up with it welded to the car. I didn't make a relief notch for the sway bar to fit into place. :roll:
Malibu11_zps5786029e.jpg

Malibu12_zps2d561976.jpg

Alex41

Weekend Racer
Nov 4, 2013
Fort Belvoir, VA
I bought some factory V6 springs at a junk yard today to see if the F body springs were the culprit.....Nope. :(

I have wheels and tires arriving this week some time and if new rubber in the rear doesn't fix this problem I may literally loose what's left of my hair here.

If the tires don't help the issue I'll try to make a cell phone video of the violence that is this wheel hop and post it up for you guys to see. I may even be able to borrow a go pro and zip tie it to the under carriage to see what's going on down there. Alex.

7d8ss

Amateur Racer
Jan 29, 2005
Lexington, Ohio
I can only relate a problem I had. Wheel hop that progressively got worse over time. Did most of what you have done. Finally during an episode of showing off in front of a buddys house, the drivers side axle snapped. It appeared that the axle had cracked at some point & was flexing, causing the wheel hop. This is all theoretical because I replaced the rearend with a 9 inch after that. I never repaired the rear so can't say for sure that the axle was the culprit. It looked like it had an old crack where it finally broke. It started as a little bit of wheel hop to where it happened almost every time I gouged it. Just food for thought.

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Stop chasing your tail................put an airbag in the passenger side spring. Problem solved ! Set the pressure at 15 psi and go from there. If you can get two air bags, use em both. Passenger side set 11lbs and the driver side set at 7lbs. Been there and solved that several times. Take all that relocation crap off and get back to stock !

Alex41

Weekend Racer
Nov 4, 2013
Fort Belvoir, VA
Sorry to have left the trail cold here guys.

I finally got my rear wheels and tires in after much distress and ordeal with Fed Ex and Jegs (all worked out great BTW) and the small sidewall 245 17's were the final culprit. The relocation bracket really help to lift the car when I take off. I swear, if it had slicks on it and I were to dump the clutch at 4K, it would tote the front tires. 8)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts