thinking of turboing the old bu

Overkill

Daily Driver
Apr 27, 2009
Damascus, MD
Having raced with nitrous for a dozen or so years it did become a pain after a while trying to keep bottles filled, heated, and changing them between rounds, but damn it was fun : ) Now having run turbos for almost 5 years, I will say nitrous was much easier and cheaper to get everything on the motor and racing than turbos. I definately broke more parts with nitrous though, left more violently and seemed to be harder on motor. Once your turbos are on and you figure out the turbo thing, they are MUCH more racer friendly and cruiser friendly IMO with never having to mess with bottlesbrazil . Plus you can control boost HP much more than you can nitrous HP from the cockpit using boost controllers like the AMS1000. I know there are progressive nitrous controllers but youre talking a totally different animal when going from 6lbs to say 40lbs pushing a few buttons instead of changing jets and re flowing nitrous fuel regs, etc, especially since all the turbo stuff is boost refernced like fuel regs, timing, etc. Its nice crusing around on the street with 6lbs and then if you want to play pushing a target button and instantly going to 40lbs. Same thing with running a blower, if your going to really make a big HP change, pulleys and belts need to be changed. Id rather push a button with turbos lol. Dont get me wrong, blowers are bad *ss, love the sound, even idling blowers just sound much nastier, but I just thought in the end I could make my motor combo much more vesatile from the seat with turbos and a boost controller. As for running a single or twins, like Robert said, single will be a little cheaper and a little less fabrication, but with higher HP combos where youve installed the biggest optimum turbo you can for your combo, twins will typically spool easier and I think can make more power, Im sure Jackstand will disagree lol, and there are ways to help spool big frame single turbos. I just took my twin Turbonetics 62-1s off, each were capable of making 650HP, and put twin Turbonetics TC78s on which are capable of making 1100 HP each in optimum conditions. The 62s were small T4 turbos but would run 146 mph at less than 15 lbs of boost in a heavy car with a relatively mild motor. Im glad I went with smaller turbos to start and figure the whole turbo thing out. Trying to make time to see what these new turbos will do. Good luck with your decision. In all honesty looking back its a tough decision. The turbo fabrication time, turbo parts cost, and time figuring out how to make it work is tough to justify, versus building a nitrous motor and just racing. A nitrous system can be installed easily in a weekend with minimal tools for very cheap in comparison. Installing a turbo requires all kinds of fabrication, lots of hours and lots of money, to do a good set up.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts