thinking of turboing the old bu

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
blue t said:
Robert why do you always suggest a t6? In this case wouldnt some thing like a 76gts be better suited and much more street friendly. Also as far as gears go I would run 3.08 or 3.23 trust me when I say you wont need any more than this. Plus with the engine you have they will keep the rpm's down if you run 1/4 mile. You can and I would go L/A in the intercooler and you can do this and keep room for a passenger.

T-6 over T-4 P/R.

The smaller say S475 will out perform the larger 76GTS. Part of the performance is from reduced back pressure.
A 360 + cid motor with the gts made little over 600hp at 22psi with nearly 50 psi of back pressure.
A 357 cid motor the an S475 T-6 made 712 hp at 18 psi with 25-28 back pressure.

All the power was not from reduced b/p, some not all, the balance is from a better compressor moving more air and creating less heat. AIT are a killer also. The smaller turbos often have nasty temp issues.

Last is spool. The difference may only be a couple hundred rpm maybe 400. The big T-6 will be making boost by 3k. Do you need to go lower. Most guys don't have enough Con Rod and oil pump to support 7 psi of boost at 2k much less the fuel to run a diesel type speeds. A gas motor need some rpm to keep the parts alive.
You'd never hit a 225 shot of N2O at 2000 rpm! Cylinder pressure and tq would fold the rods.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
This is good info. I often "dream" of turboing my F#*D V10 tow rig, for more 1800-3000 power.
Would low boost(6-9??), low rpm be bad in this setup?

blue t

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2008
birmingham alabama
Robert1320 said:
blue t said:
Robert why do you always suggest a t6? In this case wouldnt some thing like a 76gts be better suited and much more street friendly. Also as far as gears go I would run 3.08 or 3.23 trust me when I say you wont need any more than this. Plus with the engine you have they will keep the rpm's down if you run 1/4 mile. You can and I would go L/A in the intercooler and you can do this and keep room for a passenger.

T-6 over T-4 P/R.

The smaller say S475 will out perform the larger 76GTS. Part of the performance is from reduced back pressure.
A 360 + cid motor with the gts made little over 600hp at 22psi with nearly 50 psi of back pressure.
A 357 cid motor the an S475 T-6 made 712 hp at 18 psi with 25-28 back pressure.

All the power was not from reduced b/p, some not all, the balance is from a better compressor moving more air and creating less heat. AIT are a killer also. The smaller turbos often have nasty temp issues.

Last is spool. The difference may only be a couple hundred rpm maybe 400. The big T-6 will be making boost by 3k. Do you need to go lower. Most guys don't have enough Con Rod and oil pump to support 7 psi of boost at 2k much less the fuel to run a diesel type speeds. A gas motor need some rpm to keep the parts alive.
You'd never hit a 225 shot of N2O at 2000 rpm! Cylinder pressure and tq would fold the rods.
Was this a test you done? Was every thing equal ie down pipe size, header size, and cross over size? The reason I ask this is I have seen a 383 make 609whp at 14psi with a gt4276 t4 1.01ar. We did not check back pressure and I know it will pick up power at the top of the RPM range with a t6 but if your goal is 600 to 800 hp I dont think the t4 will kill it. I have another friend with a 274in v6 that makes 900+hp with a t4 with 33 back pressure at 24 psi we were logging this one. I think the mistake that people make is putting a 3" d/p on a car with a t4 and thats what kills them. You can also spray a car under 2000rpm I done it for two years in place of a tbrake worked very well with the crappy B/W s480. I would spray a 175 shot for 1.5 seconds and it would go from 0 to 18 psi in less than 3 seconds. This was all on a stock one piece block with a eagle crank and rods every thing still looked good when I pulled it out.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
These were not test this is two different cars with similar motors, cams, plumbing.

The smaller turbo may make more power a little lower but once you start moving up in rpm you will move too far to the right of the map. By over spinning the turbo you can make big boost number but the amount of heat generated kills any power gains. Even on a T-6 large frame this happens. We have had customer make an additional 5 psi and have ZERO hp, et gain. The turbo was done!

Small motors, we have built a couple of 28cid with 101mm And T-6 they made over 1500.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
gman415 said:
This is good info. I often "dream" of turboing my F#*D V10 tow rig, for more 1800-3000 power.
Would low boost(6-9??), low rpm be bad in this setup?

The biggest issue is controlling egts. On a gas motor you will have high EGT's as compared to Diesel. This high temp can could many failures. Heads, valves, manifolds/headers, and melting of numerous unprotected under hood items.

Low boost would be a couple of psi to maybe 4-5. An intercooler would mandatory. E-85 might be better, due to the lower egt. But fuel consumption would increase. I don't trust a motor (FoMoCo V-10) that randomly ejects its own spark plugs.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
[/quote]

The biggest issue is controlling egts. On a gas motor you will have high EGT's as compared to Diesel. This high temp can could many failures. Heads, valves, manifolds/headers, and melting of numerous unprotected under hood items.

Low boost would be a couple of psi to maybe 4-5. An intercooler would mandatory. E-85 might be better, due to the lower egt. But fuel consumption would increase.
  • Code:
     [b]I don't trust a motor (FoMoCo V-10) that randomly ejects its own spark plugs[/b].[/quote]
    This is what changes my dream into a nightmare.

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
lol wel he is still thinking about it i am psetty sure it is going to happin but he could tell ya for sure.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
siege said:
lol wel he is still thinking about it i am psetty sure it is going to happin but he could tell ya for sure.

It's all good, there are a lot of parts need to made this happen correctly. Even if you had a turbo in hand you are really no closer to turbo'ing your ride.

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
Isn't that the truth lol ya i am still trying to get my build together we are working on the light weight core support right know so i can fab in the rads

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts