TCI lockup converter control

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
Has anyone used the TCI kit over the B&M? The TCI kit claims it will unlock under acceleration. I really need to remember to call them during the week.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I finallt gave em a call. I ordered one up.

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
what is the part # of the one you ordered. ive been thinking about what to do for my lock up converter on my 4l80e. it has a manual valve body so i dont have any electronics. would like for it to disingage when i hit the brake and accelerated.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
TCI's kit uses a Vacuum switch to engage/disengage lockup. At high vacuum it sends 12V+ to lockup solenoid, when you open throttle & Vac drops it cuts 12V+ to solenoid. Also has a manual overide switch.
If you have a large camshaft that limits vacuum you may need an adjustable vacuum switch. They're available in 1"-6" & 6"-22" Hg. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-376600/

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
SSedan64 said:
TCI's kit uses a Vacuum switch to engage/disengage lockup. At high vacuum it sends 12V+ to lockup solenoid, when you open throttle & Vac drops it cuts 12V+ to solenoid. Also has a manual overide switch.
If you have a large camshaft that limits vacuum you may need an adjustable vacuum switch. They're available in 1"-6" & 6"-22" Hg. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-376600/

I just wasn't thinking of a vacuum switch, and it didn't list on their website the parts that came with the kit. As soon as he said vacuum switch, I was like ](*,) :oops: :lol:

I got the part # from TCI. I couldn't find it on summit, but I did order it through summit over the phone. They do carry it.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I used to run mine off a toggle switch, simple and easy. My tci doesn't have a lock up clutch so I bother with it now...

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I got it all hooked up. This was an easy and clean install. The vacuum switch operates on the ground side of the circuit. According to the instructions the supplied vacuum switch is adjustable via the little allen head screw in the side of the switch. Now I just have to get my big self back under the car to adjust it :lol:. My car just doesn't pull enough vacuum going down the road to activate the switch. The lockup is working through the extra ground wire that can be used through the dash overide switch. Thanks for the help guys.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
After putting some miles on this combo here is what I suggest. The lockup is not needed unless you're on the interstate. If you have a higher compression ratio, lockup at 45-55 mph is annoying and causes a feeling of a misfire. I have disconnected the vacuum switch, and only use the lockup through the toggle switch option when I'm running on the interstate. The B&M kit may be a better choice, as it's adjustable by the actual speedo at the trans and could be set to lock at a higher speed.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Glad you got it going Bill.
Yes, lockup at lower speeds with large Cam or numerically low gear ratios can create an annoying chugging feel. Very low rpms can cause engine firing pulse harmonics through the lockup with low ratio gears.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
SSedan64 said:
Glad you got it going Bill.
Yes, lockup at lower speeds with large Cam or numerically low gear ratios can create an annoying chugging feel. Very low rpms can cause engine firing pulse harmonics through the lockup with low ratio gears.

Exactly =D> You said it better. Thanks for the tips SSedan64!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts