Anybody using a TCI 6X 6-Speed Trans?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I wrote TCI about the gear issue, and was told by their tech dept that is WAS an issue when they first came out with this transmission. They have since fixed the gearset, (almost three years ago), and have since sold hundreds of these with no issues whatsoever. There is a lifetime warranty on this transmission to the original purchaser. He also said I could upgrade to a 4-gear planetary from a 4L85 and be good for over 850 horsepower. I think my LS engine won't break anything on the standard trans. I'm going to pull the trigger soon.............woo hoo!

Doober said:
I've considered a 4L80 for my truck too, but I think a 700R4 would be just right if the 1-2 ratio wasn't quite as big of a drop. Someone sells a 2nd gear planetary (I think that's what it is?) that provides a smaller rpm drop, a better middle ground between 1st and 3rd.

CK Performance offers a 2.84/1.55 gear set. These are very high quality items, but at $1,149.00 cost it's not for everybody.

malicad said:
I wrote TCI about the gear issue, and was told by their tech dept that is WAS an issue when they first came out with this transmission. They have since fixed the gearset, (almost three years ago), and have since sold hundreds of these with no issues whatsoever. There is a lifetime warranty on this transmission to the original purchaser. He also said I could upgrade to a 4-gear planetary from a 4L85 and be good for over 850 horsepower. I think my LS engine won't break anything on the standard trans. I'm going to pull the trigger soon.............woo hoo!

Just so you know 4L80E and 4L85E transmissions all feature 4-pinion reaction carriers right from GM... it's not an upgrade. There are some 5-pinion reaction carriers out there, but they're not as common. We've ran 1,200 rear wheel horsepower through a 4-pinion reaction carrier without any issues.

I'm not trying to undermine TCI or talk you out of a 6X... just sharing information based on experience.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
UPDATE: After much thought, I decided to go ahead and order one. I got the model with the Outlaw shifter, rather than the paddle shifter behind the wheel. I plan on autocrossing the bu eventually, but I can always upgrade and add the paddles later. I'm pretty excited, and broke at the same time :lol: ...lotta money to spend, and it wasn't an easy decision, but a rep @ TCI gave me a substantial discount which made it hard to turn away from. Just need a converter for it, and I can start planning the install!

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
Pete@Hughes said:
malicad said:

Just so you know 4L80E and 4L85E transmissions all feature 4-pinion reaction carriers right from GM... it's not an upgrade. There are some 5-pinion reaction carriers out there, but they're not as common. We've ran 1,200 rear wheel horsepower through a 4-pinion reaction carrier without any issues.

I'm not trying to undermine TCI or talk you out of a 6X... just sharing information based on experience.
there is straight cut 4 pinion and helix 4 pinion and in 05? they all went to 5 pinion helix gear sets..

to the OP im running ~600tq through my stock 99 4L85E wieghing upwards of 26,000lbs...
i could see where there could be binding issues if their shift timeing wasnt right...

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I hope everything ends up working out ok..The tech advisor admitted they had some problems early on, but they did nothing but increased the strength of an already stout 4L80E. There's no way my LS would break a 4L80E, especially with street tires (this car will be more of a pro-touring setup and will never see full-on slicks). Too late to turn back now! It's on order! I'm happy and excited, and that's all that matters. And if I do break something, I ship it to them, they repair whatever needs to be done, and they ship it back. Free. Forever. Wouldn't make good business sense to do this on a transmission that is admittedly expensive to repair, and is prone to breaking any component. So, whatevs!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The only thing keeping me from a 6L80 or 90 is price (and figuring out how to run it behind something besides a newer LS).

malibu795 said:
Pete@Hughes said:
malicad said:

there is straight cut 4 pinion and helix 4 pinion and in 05? they all went to 5 pinion helix gear sets..

You are correct on the straight cut and helical cut gear sets. 5-pinion gear sets actually first started showing up as early as 2002, but were not consistently installed in every unit that was produced for GM.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Doober said:
The only thing keeping me from a 6L80 or 90 is price (and figuring out how to run it behind something besides a newer LS).

Wait a few years and they will be available from wrecking yards and the aftermarket will embrace them. Same thing for the new LT1 engines. :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts