Primer question

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
Does an epoxy primer ever go over a self etching primer? (Dupont products) I am almost done with my body work and was going to spray everything with some vari-prime self etching primer, then some 2-K and eventually sealer or 2-k sealer combo. However I understand epoxy primer is considered more durable. Car was brought down to the bare metal. Car is indoors and will stay that way until top coated hopefully this fall. So...epoxy primer or not?

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I very seldom use etch prime. Clean the metal use an acid wash then a quality epoxy and that will out last anything else you could do.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Either/or

I've used both products.

If you haven't bought the Variprime (which is a good product), I'd just buy the epoxy and be done with it.

Not sure about epoxy pricing anymore, but Variprime has gotten ridiculously expensive of late.

BBC81Malibu

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ
NO, you dont want to put etch prime underneath an epoxy. Epoxy primer is meant to adhear to properly prepared base metal. After epoxy you can then use a urethane primer to build the surface and prepare for painting.

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
OK..next question, I understand expoy primer seems the way to go. Then whats the purpose of the self etching stuff?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts