weld through primer

DamageInc85

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2004
Deland Fl
Looking for some suggestions on what people here have used and the results.I tried using some awhile back,but it wouldnt weld right.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
DamageInc85 said:
Looking for some suggestions on what people here have used and the results.I tried using some awhile back,but it wouldnt weld right.
your rite about that one.i stopped using the sem's weld through and switched to sem's copperweld.it's not as finicky like the gray stuff is but i find that when the panel is clamped up tight i still scratch the primer out of the holes i'm going to be plug welding.it is better than the old style gray i'll give it that.a guy i work with has sworn off weld through,he is insisting that if he sprays down the weld zones in between the panels where he can with a rust fighter after its painted its mint.i'm sticking to my story.takes a little more time but gotta think longevity

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I've used both 3M and Wurth stuff...both seem to do ok but like mello said I kept a pocket screwdriver hady to scratch it out of the plugweld hole.....only thing that sucks about the 3M stuff is it settles and clumps up pretty quickly and you'll never ever get it mixed up again

mello...I use weld through and rust fighter when I can......I agree with longevity ;)

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
RatMalibu said:
I've used both 3M and Wurth stuff...both seem to do ok but like mello said I kept a pocket screwdriver hady to scratch it out of the plugweld hole.....only thing that sucks about the 3M stuff is it settles and clumps up pretty quickly and you'll never ever get it mixed up again

mello...I use weld through and rust fighter when I can......I agree with longevity ;)
you said it man,i throw everything i can get my hands on at stuff after it's all said and done.i finally glued the little red straw to the nozzle on the rust fighter it's alot better,i can contort the tube now.i love taking someone else's work apart only to find it's all rusted at the weld zones! :D \:D/ let the rustfighter flow!

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Weldable primer just isn't designed to be welded directly over, I don't care what anyone says. If you want to use it to coat two parts that can't be primed afterwards, fine, but I'd remove it 100% of the time. Same goes for deoxaluminate primer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts