Sand/Fill Primer

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
well...... you helped a lot. as far as the body work thats already done. im going to leave it as is. i assume because welded spots could have pin holes or not perfect and can trap moisture. @#!@ . any suggestions on a brand of epoxy that wont cost me in the hundreds?

from what ive read, the blitz black primer looks to be a SEALER. should i still use an epoxy before i primer it with that? seems to be redundant since i didnt shoot the epoxy first before the body work.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
I believe you can shoot tht blitz black right over what you have now or after if you decide to use 2k primer. Either or would probably be ok. If that Blitz black is an Acrylic Enamel, I wouldnt recommend it if you plan on doing a BC/CC or another non-enamel paint job in the future. Thats because in order to do another paint you have to take that down to bare metal.(More work) Other kinds of paint doesnt react and sit well with enamel. Thats my opinion and what Im learning in school now.

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
wish i was in your school. im just learning as i go, i appreciate your help. if i do a different paint job in the future on this car. i will be chemically stripping it. so, yea all the enamel will be falling off.

if i decide not to do the blitz black. im just going to shoot it with epoxy and see how she looks..

when i sanded the car down it was pretty straight to begin with. i used an air file doing x patterns like you would while blocking the car. knocked off most of it with that. and then used a block sander to bring it down the rest of the way. . .

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Im glad I can help. That blitz black sure does look damn good!

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not to repeat what has already been said but like gbodyera mentioned for future reference, it's always best to go to bare metal, seal it off with Epoxy primer (I use Southern Polyurethanes myself) and then do your filler work over the epoxy. Some people will debate about this and say metal is better, etc but I'd rather seal the metal off first and do body work over the primer. One other tip in case it was not mentioned yet, make sure you do a sealer coat before laying that bc/cc. You can use the Epoxy primer over reduced and use that as your sealer and then lay your bc/cc right after without letting it sit for a day. If you use the epoxy as a sealer then mix it, let it sit for about 30 minutes, strain and shoot one full wet coat, let it sit for about an hour and then shoot your base.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts