people running mid to low 5's..help!

turbu

Weekend Racer
Nov 1, 2008
south side chicago
TRZ Motorsports said:
You'll definitely need a good set of front and rear shocks, Strange, AFCO, or QA1. Double adj. for the rear for sure, don't even look at singles in the rear. Singles or doubles for the front being you're a small block. Front end limiters will be needed for sure, be it in the stock control arms or in ours that include them. Solid Rear suspension meaning no poly or rubber in any of the mounts. Some Moroso trick (or Moog equivalents) up front or a light spring coil-over setup. A 125 or 150 lb. rear spring (depending on the transmission), preferably adjustable height either using rear coil-overs in the stock location (AFCO) or with adj. coil-spring adjusters welded to the housing in place of the stock spring locator (we make them now). An ARB is a must in any G-body that makes even decent power. And lower the whole car down some to make the rear control arm geometry optimal. Hope this helps. Not sure if you called us yet or not, but hopefully we gave you the same advice on the phone as on here!

I'm curious what you mean by 125 or 150 depending on the trans? I've never heard of this before?? I have a 400 with 12" 130lb springs in the rear. But I leave off the footbrake.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
The power is at the wheels.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
The transmission and rear spring choice kind of depends on the power of the car. A car w/ a lot of HP w/ a TH400 will hit the tire extra hard in the back due to the lower gearing in the transmissions 1st gear vs. a car w/ a lot of HP and a glide, so we'll use a bit stiffer rear spring to take some of the hit away so it doesn't overpower the shock and tire. So we tend to use a 150 ish w/ a 3 speed and a 125 ish w/ a glide, again it all depends on the power of the car. If it's a lower HP car, then a 125 ish will probably work regardless of the transmission. It's kind of tricky, and we by no means are 100% correct in our choices all the time, we're still learning and fine tuning based on various combinations we work with hands-on at the tracks.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
So would it be the same concept setting a car up for 1/8th vs 1/4 and the gearing?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
We don't change anything in the suspension when setting a car up for 1/8 or 1/4. The first 330 is where the suspension comes into play for the most part anyway. Gearing is another situation, to maximize the performance in 1/8 or 1/4, you'll most likely need different gearing for both.

'Bu-Camino

Amateur Racer
Mar 9, 2009
Spring, Texas
TRZ Motorsports said:
The transmission and rear spring choice kind of depends on the power of the car. A car w/ a lot of HP w/ a TH400 will hit the tire extra hard in the back due to the lower gearing in the transmissions 1st gear vs. a car w/ a lot of HP and a glide, so we'll use a bit stiffer rear spring to take some of the hit away so it doesn't overpower the shock and tire. So we tend to use a 150 ish w/ a 3 speed and a 125 ish w/ a glide, again it all depends on the power of the car. If it's a lower HP car, then a 125 ish will probably work regardless of the transmission. It's kind of tricky, and we by no means are 100% correct in our choices all the time, we're still learning and fine tuning based on various combinations we work with hands-on at the tracks.

Outstanding post...you are a great asset to the forum.

V8 Power

BTW...I have a few friends that run the Dallas and Houston 10.5 classes. 900 to 950 at the fly wheel or 750 to the ground is just about what they are running. Many of them run 5.50's and .60'. That being said, after every run they are fiddling with their NO2 controllers adjusting the ramp up of timing and %NO2. Sounds like you've got a fun combo on your hands!!

Good Luck,

Bill

P.S. I asked one of my buddies what it would take for his car to be competative in the king of hill classes (4.90 to 5.0) and he responded....."not much, just another 1000 horse power" :shock:

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
Ill be running in dallas when I get my car together, all ot them dallas cars will be here in oklahoma this weekend for the big 10.5 race! And yea I am have the nos mini controller, the edelbrock one was way to sensitive.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts