Pedal Rock Hard Take 2

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I'm not using a residual valve, just the combo valve. I had the valve in at first, but later learned it was redundant since the combo has one built in. I'm gonna replace the MC (or the rod if it's replaceable), and remove the combo, and replace with the wilwood valve and a metering valve in the front.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
I think you have to pull the pin (on the front of the proportioning valve) out about 1/16th of an inch or so to bleed the brakes correctly. If you use low pressure the pin will stay in place, but if you mash the pedal the pin will pop out of place and set the dash light off. Then you have to push it back in, there is a special clip that fits over the pin to hold it in the pulled out position to bleed brakes on these cars with similiar prop. valves.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
lurchsmalibu said:
I think you have to pull the pin (on the front of the proportioning valve) out about 1/16th of an inch or so to bleed the brakes correctly. If you use low pressure the pin will stay in place, but if you mash the pedal the pin will pop out of place and set the dash light off. Then you have to push it back in, there is a special clip that fits over the pin to hold it in the pulled out position to bleed brakes on these cars with similiar prop. valves.
Never heard of that before, never bled the brakes on the car like that before. I'll look for the pin.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
wiseman79 said:
I will say I'm a little wary of the fact one angry mule kick could wreak so much havok on the MC, would this happen in a panic stop years from now?

:shock: Thank you for making me chit myself, now everytime i drive mine, and i half to exert lots of force to stop...i will now be worried i will rearend someone.....

but a good question you made none the less, will it happen in a panic stop??????????????????

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I THINK I HAVE THIS FIGURED OUT... God I hope so.

Been reading and tinkering with the remains of the MC. There is an adjustment on the rod I wasn't aware of, not only can you adjust the turn buckle to make it the correct length to meet up with your pedal, but the rod coming out of the MC itself can be turned. Mine seems to be turned WAY in and I think put it at the very end of its travel at the "relaxed" position. If you look at the pic below, I think it may have been in so much that it was just shy of the rear ports outlet. Then when you pressed the pedal it only stroked very little till it passed/blocked that port entirely (which is why I could get very little fluid to whatever was connected to that port). And I think that would explain the rock hard pedal, it was almost at full stroke at the relaxed position. Also explains why it bent the rod. Two things, first the rod was inside the MC so far, only 3-4 threads made it to the turnbuckle, second it could only stroke a half inch or so till it hit max. So the force of me stomping on it at max stroke with only a few threads holding it on added up to carnage. So, the question is... Was I supposed to adjust that rod during the install and I'm again...a dumbass? Or, do you typically not mess with that rod, and I'm just the lucky one that got one out of whack? Of course, this isn't concrete, but seems to make sense and by playing with the MC, again looks like what's going on. So GreenDraggin, I'd think in a correct install you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the rod like I did. Any thoughts?
master-brake3.jpg

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Well, im not sure about the rod adjusting, Travis did not mention it.

i remember in one of the post, that they come pre adjusted????

but maybe a call to wilwood would be in order to verify this.

i dont know if this is the case with mine, because i do get fluid at all 4 corners when bleeding mine. just i feel i still have air in the fronts, because it doesnt seem to have the same pressure on the fronts of mine when bleeding.

but i will be chacking mone this winter.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
GreenDragginBu said:
Well, im not sure about the rod adjusting, Travis did not mention it.

i remember in one of the post, that they come pre adjusted????

but maybe a call to wilwood would be in order to verify this.

i dont know if this is the case with mine, because i do get fluid at all 4 corners when bleeding mine. just i feel i still have air in the fronts, because it doesnt seem to have the same pressure on the fronts of mine when bleeding.

but i will be chacking mone this winter.
Did you verify that you had the lines going to the right ports? I think they come 70/30 to the front, if you have 70 to the rear, and 30 to the front, that might explain it.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
I'm am going out there to check right now, but im pretty sure ihave mine with port closest to the firewall as my fronts.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Yeah just checked, and mine are hooked as i mentioned above.

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
WISEMAN79 there is no reason to adjust the rod it comes already setup.Travis used my car to desing this kit off of and he hooked the kit up on my car and we had no problems and he sent the kits out the same way he installed on my car.if you have any questios or are unsure on anything give Travis a call first you can reach him at 816-536-3216 or at his shop number at 816-228-2630,he will be glad to help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts