Pedal Rock Hard Take 2

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
355_79bu said:
wiseman79 said:
I didn't want to say till I double checked, but I'm thinking my lines are backwards, since your post with Travis' email said opposite than what I expected. Anybody know which ports are which on the stock combo valve?

I looked at the combo valve on my Malibu and here is how the combo valve is hooked up: If your looking at the combo valve mounted on the car, from the top where the lines come in from the master (the inlet side of the combo valve), the port nearest the front of the car is for the rear inlet, the one closest to the back is for the front inlet. Now, for the outlets, looking at the bottom of the valve the outlet on the back goes to the rear, the one on the front goes to the front.
Hooray! That's good news cause I think mine is hooked up backwards then. I'll double check but think that may be it. Thanks for looking. Am I wrong or is the factory MC opposite, with rears in the back port, fronts in the front? Either way, I don't care, I'll gladly be labeled a bonehead if it means my brakes will work this weekend!

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
I have changed my MC to the old cast iron style (because of the 12" brake swap). But, if memory serves me, the stock MC has the rear port in the front and the front port in the rear. As a matter of fact, I know its this way because I had to swap my brake lines front to back on the MC when I went with the cast iron one (which has the front port in the front, back port in the rear).

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I too had mine backwards, but get this. I go to take the car around the block yesterday, didn't change anything with the brakes, and the pedal travel was MUCH better, and it stopped on a dime :-k :-s

Now if I can just figure out why it wouldn't shift to 2nd when I shifted...

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
hey supe was just reading on this because im getting ready to install travis kit.

when i talked to him in (person) he said you only need the add the residual if your running rear drum and just hook front to front and rear to rear

dont you have a pro stick?? had the same prob when i got mind done and had to adj linkage to make all the gears work even thou when i set it up they all felt great

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Supe said:
I too had mine backwards, but get this. I go to take the car around the block yesterday, didn't change anything with the brakes, and the pedal travel was MUCH better, and it stopped on a dime :-k :-s

Now if I can just figure out why it wouldn't shift to 2nd when I shifted...

Supe, are you saying it fixed itself?? or can you explain what you meant about having it hooked up backwards?? you mean the lines on the master, cause didnt we discuss this awhile back and came up with the right way then...or are ya saying i need to switch mine again? LOL :lol:

i have mine with the outlet closest to the firewall as the front brakes.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
wiseman79 said:
Cool, I'm swapping mine around tomorrow. Good to know that should fix it.

Dont leave me in the dark guys, how are yours currently hooked up, and what way are you switching them?

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
***Update 10/21/06*** Keep any sharp objects away from me! I did have the lines backwards, either I screwed up when I did the swap, or the previous MC had ports opposite of this one. Either way I had the front port going to the front, and rear to the rear. It was supposed to be opposite if the earlier post about the ports on the stock combo valve is correct (front port on the combo valve to the rears, rear port feeds the fronts). Now the kick in the nuts. I swapped the lines (after frustrating trips to the store trying to shuffle through the boxes to find the right adapters). At first I was stoked, the rears bled fine where before I couldn't budge the pedal and would push NO fluid to the rear. But then I went to do the fronts, and nothing. Same problem, now only reversed! Well here's where comedy insued. After realizing the problem was still there only backwards, I thought it would be a good idea to stomp the pedal and let the whole neighborhood know I was pissed. Well, I bent the rod coming out of the MC about 45 degrees and ripped it out of the turnbuckle attached to the pedal. So now, I still have the same problem, AND I get to buy another MC kit. Awesome! I emailed Wilwood for some help. SUPE! Can you run down your setup, exactly how is it installed, are you using a combo valve? Do you have any prozac? Anything that may help? I will say I'm a little wary of the fact one angry mule kick could wreak so much havok on the MC, would this happen in a panic stop years from now?
Oops.jpg

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I have (incorrectly) installed the rear brakes to the rear port on the master, and the front brakes to the front port on the master. I have a 12lbs residual valve in line with the rear brakes and the master. I completely removed the prop/combo valve, and run my front brakes directly into the line lock ports. I now have about 2 inches of pedal travel and stops no problem, even with the lines reversed. Is it possible that your residual valve is backwards?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts