Lowering rear of a 1981 Malibu

Haytoes

Feb 20, 2006
Wadsworth, Il.
I want to lower the front and rear of my malibu, the front i will use 2" drop spindles, but the rear has me puzzled. I do not want to loose my travel, ride quality, or geometry in the rear because it works well at the track and rides well. I plan on doing a mini tub t fit the tire, so does one just use a shorter spring? make new brackets for control arm location? what do i use for shocks, units with a shorter travel?

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
We offer bolt on or weld-in relocation brackets that allow up to 3 different height (2" 3" 4" drop over stock) adjustments for your lower rear control arm mount. They relocate your control arm rear mounting points and improve your cars instant center.

The increased control arm angle provides better weight transfer and increases 60 ft/times depending on the ride height of the vehicle.

These will work with all OE & aftermarket rear ends.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=28

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
The relocation brackets will allow you to adjust your instant center, but they will not lower the rear of the car. I would suggest using a set of 2.5" coil over springs (QA1, AFCO, etc...)12" 150lb rating. Should lower the rear at least 2" if not 3". If you are making lots of hp then possibly a 10"-12" 130lb spring with a TRZ or Wolfe adjuster just to get it the perfect height. Another way to do this is to order a factory replacement spring for a "70 Chevelle, which will also lower the rear of the vehicle about 2" or so. I would definitely recommend a set of adjustable upper control arms, and you can use the lower relocation brackets, but they are not required. The best phone call to make is to the TRZ guys if you have any problems or questions, but be ready to explain your combo to them for their best recommendation.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts