Lowering a Malibu rear end

Wes

Dragway Regular
May 21, 2003
Cleveland, Oh area
What front springs are you using with the A body rears?
malibulvr said:
I dont have a before and after pic, but I have a little better pic of it from the side. As far as the springs mine are factory springs taken from a 71 Chevelle, and a 70 Monte Carlo. I tried them both same results. I am in the middle of a frame notch for 325/50 drag radials so I can't just get you a current pic, sorry!

This was when I first installed the springs and wheels/tires.
gmc004ni5.jpg

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Actually.........I was thinking about it and that pic was from the first week I had this 'Bu. It still had the stock rear end in it and I used 2-5/16" spacers on each side to make them go on the car. I didn't drive it like that I just wanted to trial fit the wheels and tires. As far as the front springs, they were already on the car and they were V6 springs that were cut a little. Car currently looks and sits different. I went to a taller front tire (27" tall)and raised the suspension a little with uncut V6 springs and had to raise the rear a little to fit the 325/50 drag radials, but a little later I plan on narrowing my 12-bolt 1" per side then I can lower the car back down maybe lower than the pic.

SURESHOT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 29, 2008
LONG ISALND NEW YORK
So your saying it should work with 275-60-15 reae tires on a 8" ralley rim ?

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I would think that it would be close, but should fit. Back when I used to run the Vette rallye wheels(15x8 w/4" b.s.) I always ran 295/50 radials so I would think that it would work. I have never tried that exact combo though.

brown bag special

Feb 18, 2009
Hutchinson,KS
Cheap and easy way is to go to your local parts store and buy some spring clamps. Just have a few buddys sit in the back while you clamp it down. If you clamp two of the middle coils together you get a three to four inch drop.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
brown bag special said:
Cheap and easy way is to go to your local parts store and buy some spring clamps. Just have a few buddys sit in the back while you clamp it down. If you clamp two of the middle coils together you get a three to four inch drop.

IMO that is dangerous. Has a very ill effect on the car when they break while driving, which can happen! I know from experience from my younger and stupider days.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts