Ideas on speaker selection

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I see that most posts recommend high priced stuff....
I would definetely say the Infinity Kappa is a good choice for fronts.
The way i would go is 5 1/4 kit in molded kick panels and just the 12" sub in the rear. Make sure you have tons of voltage to the speakers and the transients and plain ripping will be there!

As far as rear speakers go, i usually leave them out because they only stir the stereo image up. If you want to have a set i would mold the rear side panels and fit a set of koax 5 1/4 from the same brand and line you use up front. The Infinity fronts i have used worked really well dispite their size, but if you need more low end up front the complete with a set of mid bass speakers under the dash in sealed enclosures. Both DLS and JL has come out with compact enclosure designed sub style 6 1/2 bass drivers you should be able to fit under there with some enginuety.

As far as amps go i don't know because the market over there is just too much to comprehend. I do know that Pioneer always sound nice in my ears for the money spent. -Just don't look or care about their power specs......
Buy the mid priced and i think you will be happy.

Maybe the 12" in the rear and a four channel pioneer connected to JL mini subs under the dash and Kappas in kick panels will the way to start?!

I have not yet built a system in a Malibu, but the cars i have built have had similarly sized and squared coupés, so i cannot see a reason why the setup wouldn't work.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
i dunno what junk ya'll have, but IME most 6X9s sound great, mine are nice & crisp, & my buddy Austins old as dirt 6X9s actully have very good bass, i thought he had the sub hooked up

I normally stick with Pioneer with their speakers & HUs, & i prefer Power Acoustic subs, tho right now i have an Audiobahn (no longer in the car) which sounded good

get the kick panels that mount in the footwells, so you don't have to cut nothing, they are able to mount up to a 6 1/2" compnent

i have them, but i never installed them, prolly go into another 'Bu

Power Acoustic does make speakers (along with nice amps) but i can't recall ever hearing a set, but i know their subs & amps rawk, especially for the low price

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
malibuguy said:
get the kick panels that mount in the footwells, so you don't have to cut nothing, they are able to mount up to a 6 1/2" compnent

i have them, but i never installed them, prolly go into another 'Bu
Where did you find these and do you have a picture of them? Are you willing to sell them?

A

Anonymous

What's with them square speakers? shrug.gif

It doesn't make sense to me. :-k

Sound waves are round not square. ;)

A

Anonymous

The square subs have 16-20% more surface area than circle subs, and they take up virtually the same space. So with the bigger surface area, you get more sound out of them. 1 10" square sub is about as loud as 2 10" circle subs.

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Northwet said:
What's with them square speakers? shrug.gif

It doesn't make sense to me. :-k

Sound waves are round not square. ;)
What makes them so great? First is the square design. The revolutionary patented square design gives up to 20% more cone area than round speakers. Then the new cone is braced from the rear to ensure rigidity. Also , the magnets have been enlarged and enhanced. The motor structure has been improved with a new T shaped top plate to increase the magnetic field. Even the spider (the sub woofer's suspension) has been strengthened. The Voice coils are beefed up to handle 220 degrees Celsius.

EDIT: And what mini said moments before me....

Turbo1dr

Pro Stocker
Jun 7, 2003
New Bern NC
www.turbomalibu.com
I have Wal-Mart cheapo Lightening Audio speakers in my car. 3.5's up into the dash and 6x9 in the rear.
I also have some 5.25" Pioneer speakers located in the doors. I made some speaker covers to make them look more integrated instead of "added on".

doorspeaker.jpg

doorspeaker3.jpg

SuperShop

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
everywhere n chicago
The Square Speakers Are Called L's Like Kickers L7 and L5, L7's Hold More Power Example 12" L7(1600)Max And 12" L5(1200) They Are Solo Baric Subs Meaning They Are Made To Take Up Less Space Whereas A Round Speaker Needs More Space. As Far As The Rear Deck 6x9's Are Great If You Get A Brand Like, I Perfer Pioneers, Sony's, Kicker, Kenwood, Alpine , Clarion And So On, To Me Pioneers(Or The Above List) Have That Sound I'm Looking For Clarity And Sparkling Highs And Good Midrange. As Far As A Amp For Your Subs That Can Play 1/2 Ohm Stable(Bridged) I Would Try Example- Hifonics(Brutus, Titan, Zeus, Boltar). And For The Highs And Mids A Good 4channel Amp Also a Good 3way Crossover (Highs, Midrange or rears, Subs) I Had A Bu With 3 1/2(DASH)-4 5 1/4(Each DOORS)- 6 1/2 (In The Side Panel Below The Window)-4 6x9's(REAR DECK)-All Pioneer ,In The Trunk I Had a 4CH V12 Alpine, Kicker 3WayCrossover, Rockford Fosgate Power 1000( The Big Chrome One ) On 8 12"CVR Kickers.......... :twisted: 2 Optima's , 2 5Farad Caps... It Wasn't A Sound Car But The DB Was UGLY....Kenwood Head Unit And EQ. Hope I Helped And Didn't Change Your Mind But I Miss My Old Car Sorry :cry: :cry:

jr79

Weekend Racer
Jun 4, 2006
hobart in 46342
SuperShop said:
The Square Speakers Are Called L's Like Kickers L7 and L5, L7's Hold More Power Example 12" L7(1600)Max And 12" L5(1200) They Are Solo Baric Subs Meaning They Are Made To Take Up Less Space Whereas A Round Speaker Needs More Space. As Far As The Rear Deck 6x9's Are Great If You Get A Brand Like, I Perfer Pioneers, Sony's, Kicker, Kenwood, Alpine , Clarion And So On, To Me Pioneers(Or The Above List) Have That Sound I'm Looking For Clarity And Sparkling Highs And Good Midrange. As Far As A Amp For Your Subs That Can Play 1/2 Ohm Stable(Bridged) I Would Try Example- Hifonics(Brutus, Titan, Zeus, Boltar). And For The Highs And Mids A Good 4channel Amp Also a Good 3way Crossover (Highs, Midrange or rears, Subs) I Had A Bu With 3 1/2(DASH)-4 5 1/4(Each DOORS)- 6 1/2 (In The Side Panel Below The Window)-4 6x9's(REAR DECK)-All Pioneer ,In The Trunk I Had a 4CH V12 Alpine, Kicker 3WayCrossover, Rockford Fosgate Power 1000( The Big Chrome One ) On 8 12"CVR Kickers.......... :twisted: 2 Optima's , 2 5Farad Caps... It Wasn't A Sound Car But The DB Was UGLY....Kenwood Head Unit And EQ. Hope I Helped And Didn't Change Your Mind But I Miss My Old Car Sorry :cry: :cry:

no offense but what you are describing is way to much/speakers, you can do an even better setup, louder/clearer/and more bass/ on far less equipment if setup right , in my lowrider i had 2 15's hurricane powerstrokes,full wall ported w/ 2 6 1/2 in the back and focal utopia 3 way component set up front, zapco ag350 w/ audiocontrol eqx, and 4 ample audio 1200x amps daisychained 2 to 1 sub , car hit 156decibals LEGAL and the inside was as clear as could be and the mids and highs kept up with all that bass of course my charging system was updated to handle ie alt and extra battery , my whole point is with the proper equipment and setup right more is not necessarily better, the key to a good system is a x over or eq that with boost your signal voltage most radio barely get 1to 2 v and with out a good x over w/built in linedriver you amp is never gonna produce the power it should, i have demonstrated that to alot of people in my neighborhood by just putting a line driver and dialing the amp in , and they where sold, even if your radio says 5v ITS NOT and when setting up your amp you should chk the amps millivolts with a dvom and there is a formula to figure out how many watts you are actually putting out mind you when doing this you should be playing a constant sweep of same freq constant. sorry now im just rambling on i apoligize .

gearhead81

Weekend Racer
Jan 16, 2007
Sidney, Montana
The Kicker SoloBaric's are also less efficient power wise. There are guys that swear by them, But in my experience, you could use the power needed to make them work to power even more round subs. Or bigger ones :D

As for speakers, I built a set of kick panel speaker pods for 6.5 components. The mid will go in the floor, and the tweeters will go into the A pillar. Co axial speakers will probably do just as good as there is no depth to the dashboard. Memphis car audio makes a set of good coaxial speakers that have an adjustable angle tweeter. at about $120 retail, you almost can't go wrong.

The kicks that I built took me about two days total, but that was in between other installs. They are available commercially, but count on spending about 200 for the good ones.

Malibu6.jpg

Malibu2.jpg

Disregard the way the interior looks. It is still under construction.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts