Any more ideas on bog/hesistation?

DannyBoy515

Daily Driver
Jul 15, 2010
Oak Forest,IL 60452
Yeah timing chain is brand new. The few builds Ive done with the vortec heads, they like around 32-35* total timing best. I have set it there and left my initial at about 18 - and actually advancing the initial from 12 to 18 actually helped the situation a bit. I swapped jets, rods, springs. But I think elcamino84ss is right. From anyone ive talked to, when it starts getting into higher compression or bigger cam etc, the Eddy's arent built to keep up. I had one on the previous motor in the car which was a mild 350 and it seemed to like it. But after seeing the difference when my buddy swapped a holley 750 dp instead of the Eddy onto his s-10 swapped small block this week, I am thinking I may just spend the money and grab another carb and see if that solves the problem. I have spent more time in the last 2 weeks trying to get rid of the problem than it would be worth to buy a new carb.

So that begs the question - for a 10:1 big cam small block - what specific carbs have you guys used.

Ive always had mild sbc, just over stock 350's - so the issue has never really come up on my own car. I have heard good and bad things about Quick Fuel, and Demon also. Or just stick with the tried and true Holley 4160?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
For the price you will love a quick fuel 750 slayer series carb. I put one on a 454 bbc with around 425 hp and it works awesome.
brian

Smokes

Frequent Racer
Dec 30, 2011
S.W. Mo.
Its the 1411 series carb, they ALL have this problem, It can be cured with some work in the squirter/transition, there go lean on tip-in & will have a flat spot, Now its very important not to exceed 5.5 lbs. fuel pressure with these carbs, Also need to make sure fuel level/floats are adj. right.

I personally do not like these caebs for this reason & they tend to get heat soaked really fast & then flood out if not running a spacer, I like my holleys, they do have there quirks, but not that bad, plus they perf. much better.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Carter's in general are not "bad" carbs. They just aren't as good as a Holley. Heck, if you aren't stuck on a square bore intake a Quadrajet works better. I'm not saying Carter's are no good, just that they're a stock style 4 barrel that was never really known for its drivability...

Tommy

DannyBoy515

Daily Driver
Jul 15, 2010
Oak Forest,IL 60452
Ok so here is one for ya. Finally figured out what the main cause of the hesitation was. After numerous people told me it had to be a lean spot, I messed with the carb until I couldnt mess with it anymore. Then I am talking to an old timer about my timing and figured this out. When I had first put the motor in and after break in, I was messing with vacuum advance and timing. Forgot that I had advanced the vacuum advance (hex key in the canister) to help with the idle. Well come to find out, my brother in law who was helping me with tuning, had already advanced the vacuum advance. So when I would stab the throttle ( causing vacuum to disappear), because the vacuum advance was way too high, there was a void and my mechanical advance curve couldnt compensate. I backed down the vacuum adv by 2 deg and it was better. 2 more deg and it was almost gone. 2 more deg and it disappeared. Never wouldve thought to even look at it. Because of the bigger cam, it actually shouldve been decreased from the beginning, but definitely shouldnt have been increased as much as it was.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts