Ideas on speaker selection

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Ideas on speaker selection....

I am not even sure this is the place to ask but I figured some of you guys have some sort of system in your Malibus so here it goes.....

I have an '80 Malibu coupe(see avitar) and I am looking for selections on speakers. I am wanting 5 1/4 components in the doors but I am unsure of what to use in the back to compliment them. I havent decided on any brands as of yet but Infinity Kappas are high on the list.

I was thinking of putting 6 1/2's in the side panels of the rear seat and maybe a pair of 6x9's in the back dash. There lies the problem. I dont know if this combination will work together. That is where you all come in.

Right now I have 1 12" Audiobahn sub powered by a 1000watt Lanzar amp. I will be going with 2 12's once the money is there.

Any suggestions on an amp(s) that will work good with the speakers? I am not looking for competion sound by any means, I just want a good overall sound, without spending my life savings on it.

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Ok...thanks guys, you have been a lot of help.......................

A

Anonymous

Well its Malibu Racing not Malibu Audio... shrug.gif
These doods can steer you the right way though :
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/index.php
:)

jr79

Weekend Racer
Jun 4, 2006
hobart in 46342
should help

good 3 pc componet set up front tweet,midrange, midbass, your choice on brand , but stay away from 6x9's sound terrible, i would just go w/ a decent 6 1/2 in back if properly amped and eq'd all you will need is that for sound again brand is entirely up to you i prefer and always run FOCAL UTOPIAS in my car. for subs and amps go class d on the amp very good power at resonable price , earthquake, ample audio , are my top pics, and for subs 2 12's are key but be4 you go and buy a amp you should match your amp to any sub or subs if you plan on going to 2 12's , then you can get 2 12's w/ dvc at 4 ohms, that will get you 1 ohm when briged , and just match up your amp specs bridged at 1 ohm hope this helps pm me if any questions , i use to compete in dbdrag i also can probably get some kinda deals on equipment .

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
JamesF said:
Well its Malibu Racing not Malibu Audio... shrug.gif
These doods can steer you the right way though :
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/index.php
:)
So you are telling me that with the 1000's of members.....no one has a stereo in the cars...... :roll:

79malibu

Frequent Racer
Aug 9, 2006
PA/south jersey
Re: should help

jr79 said:
stay away from 6x9's sound terrible, i would just go w/ a decent 6 1/2 in back if properly amped and eq'd all you will need .

agreed

A

Anonymous

I have kicker 6x9's (KS Series) in the back of mine and they sound pretty good. If you're willing to spend the money I would say go with them, they give you some pretty decent bass for 6x9's if that's what you're looking for. They have enough bass to shake all of my mirrors, the 6 1/2's dont put out quite as much bass. I'm also going to be installing 2 kicker 10" square L5 subs in march or april, which are worth the money because properly amped they are louder than most 2 12" circle subs and the squares take up less volume. I have all around kicker speakers and I am quite pleased with the sound.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
Crystal Mobie Sound Comps,5.25 or 6.5s
Diamond amps and subs.,....
Its what I run,tight SQL

I have some audio stuff for sale,all of which will PWN Audiobahn
which is pretty low down imo

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
I am also gonna run the Kicker 06 10L5's. I was thinking maybe installing them in the back dash if the space would allow it. I havent done any measuring yet but it was a thought.

I recently bought a set of Alpine Type R 6.5 components to put either in the doors or the rear side panels, or both....yet another decision I havent made yet. I spend a lot of time on the net looking up sh*t, and comparing prices.
Crystal Mobie Sound Comps,5.25 or 6.5s
Diamond amps and subs.,....
Never heard of those.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I'm a fan of either Alpine or Kicker. What I plan to do in the trunk is make a custom box that sits on the diffy hump and put the 2 06 L5's in it. I also thought about puttin them on the back dash like you had said but then it would need some major re-inforcing. Just an idea for ya

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts